Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Darth_Tanion Posts: 105, Reputation: 7

Jun 1, 2005, 06:05 AM
    Start->Run
    I fixed my brother's computer a while back using a command that I cannot remember. His computer was constantly coming up with "Limited or no connectivity" and no matter how many different NIC's I used (wired or wireless) I couldn't get an IP from my router. Eventually I tracked down a little helper on the net that told me to go to start->run and type in a command that I can no longer remember. This then brought up a list of programs that had something to do with my network. In this list was new.net. In some way new.net was different to the other entries (how it was different I also cannot remember.) Basically the fact that it was different meant that it had to be uninstalled and this solved my problem. My problem is that now I cannot remember what the command I typed in to the run dialog box was. It wasn't anything common like msconfig, regedit, services.msc or the like. If anyone can think of ANYTHING that might match this some what feeble description I would really appreciate it. Even if anyone knows of anywhere that I can find a list of windows commands that can be typed into the run dialog box and I will go through it one by one.

Thanks in advance,

Darth Tanion
    jocase Posts: 18, Reputation: 1

Jun 6, 2005, 12:48 AM
    Commands from Command com
    Try http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d...loverview.mspx

Type command in the run line to get a DOS like window. Then use these commands.

Also, if you fixed it a short time ago, have your brother click the dropdown arrow in his run box and see what commands are there.

Another way... Type command in run box.
    Type NET HELPMSG 3712

John
    Express1 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Dec 28, 2005, 03:04 PM
    Limited no connectivity issues
    This is Limited no connectivity issue, 95% of the time its going to have to deal with Windows Service Pack 2. If you try to release/renew your IP and get a socket error, then you better scan your PC for viruses. You can also try to run this Dos command "netsh dump" and reboot your PC. This command will clear out all devices behind your cable modem. Meaning it will reset both your cable modem and router.

There is also a Windows patch that will also fix this issue "KB884020". Check micrososft.com. Also if you're running Zone Alarm firewall, it will also cause limited no connectivity. You can calso try reloaded the drivers for your NIC. More than likely with this Limited no connectivity you will be pulling a 169 IP address which means your NIC has no device behind it, whether it is a router or cable modem
    mindtab Posts: 28, Reputation: 0

Aug 29, 2009, 06:12 PM

Sounds like you removed a service which had started with windows, and was messing up your connection.

Start>Run>cmd
    Net start (shows running services)

Net stop [service name] stops a service

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

96 t/c Will not start [ 4 Answers ]

I have a 96 t/c that will not start and it sounds like the fuel pump is not kicking on.Do I need to drop the gas tank to take out the old one or is it somewere else. And does this have a reset switch on it if so where is it.Or should I replace my fuel filter.

98 GMC won't start, not getting gas [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 1998 gmc 4x4 5.7 at. Its been getting harder & harder to start, but went it started it would run great and restart that day. Today it didn't start, so the fuel pump is making nois so that is working, put a new fuel filter on, no help, so I put some gas in the throttle body and it started...

Where to start.. [ 3 Answers ]

Im 17 and feel I'm to week I'm a bit of a couch potato I way 12 stone 4 and have decided to bulk myself up around the arms area that seems to be the area that needs the most work. I have started eating more healthey like diet ready meals, my 5 a day+ fruit and veg but bulking upwise I need advice...

XP won't start [ 5 Answers ]

Any suggestions on the following would be appreciated. Basically XP won't load up in either normal, or safe mode. It gets as far as that XP logo with the black background and sits there. The blue line in that loading bar at the bottom still moves, and the hard drive light blinks on and off...

Start up [ 1 Answers ]

Upon start up of my pc, the message "please check video cable connections" comes up. There is no web cam or video equipment connected to my computer. I then must shut down the system on the modem and start all over before the windows screen will come up. Could you help me resolve this problem?

View more questions Search