Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lara12 Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Dec 8, 2007, 08:08 PM
    gain or loss
    buy equipment then depriciate it,has no salvage value then you sell it. Determine weather it's a gain or a loss.---- that's how it was said on our study guide and I didn't really understand it?
    Gator1087 Posts: 17, Reputation: 3

Dec 9, 2007, 12:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by lara12
    buy equipment then depriciate it,has no salvage value then you sell it. determine weather its a gain or a loss.---- thats how it was said on our study guide and i didnt really understand it??

(1)When you buy equipment you record the amount you paid for in the account: "equipment"
    (2)Then you find annual depreciation. To do this you subtract the salvage value (the amount that you expect the equipment to be worth at the end of the equipment's useful life) from the amount you paid for the equipment. You then divide that amount by the equipment's useful life.
    (3) When you sell the equipment you subtract the total depreciation, called "accumulated depreciation" from the amount you originally paid for the equipment. This amount is called the net book value(NBV). You compare net book value to the price you sold the equipment for; if the selling price is greater than NBV you have a gain, if selling price is less than NBV you have a loss.

Example
    You buy equipment for $100 and estimate that it will have a useful life of 10 years and zero salvage value. In ten years you sell the machine for $10.

Price you paid = $100
    Useful life =10 yrs
    Salvage value= $0
    Annual depreciation: (Price you paid - salvage value)/useful life
    (100 - 0)/10= 100/10= $10/yr
    After 10 yrs accumulated depreciation=$100
    NBV=Price you paid - accumulated depreciation
    NBV=100-100=0
    Selling price =10
    10>0 selling price>NBV
    gain of $10

If you had sold it after the 8th year NBV would have been $20 (100-80) and you would have reported a $10 loss because NBV>selling price.
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Dec 10, 2007, 11:53 PM
    Example.

In 2001 you buy a piece of equipment for 6,000.

You depreciate it at 1,000 per year.

So 2001, = 500
    2002 – 2006 = 1,000
    2007 = 500

Now, the equipment has a NBV of 0 in 2007.

Calculation:
    6,000 original cost – Depreciation (500 for 2001, + 1,000 x 5 years + 500 for 2007)

You sell it for $50.

It is “worth” 0 on your balance sheet, yet you sold it for $50. Therefore, you have a gain of $50.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Weight loss-How to gain it back [ 2 Answers ]

I am a 30yr old woman (not ashamed to admit it), have been underweight all my life. I know it's a problem that most wish they had, but really I hate looking like an ethiopian or a crackhead(as I say). After my baby I looked great, kept the weight for about 2yrs... then I got the flu. I lost 18 lbs...

After Tax Economic Loss or Gain [ 4 Answers ]

I have a hypothectical question here. If I am in the 33% margin tax bracket and on a particlular day I wanted to paint a room in my house. Becausse I have to work, it may be necessary to hire a outside painter. Now, if I am working and have to pay for a painter to come in to paint the room. Would...

Surrendering insurance policies and reporting gain (or loss) [ 6 Answers ]

I surrendered two insurance policies last year - one was a Whole Life policy and the other was a Variable Universal Life policy. The insurance company where I had the Whole Life policy sent me a 1099-R showing the gain on the policy, which I owe taxes on. The company where I had the Variable...

View more questions Search