Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    binx44 Posts: 1,028, Reputation: 88
    Ultra Member

Jun 22, 2007, 08:35 AM
    Knee injury, helping with the pain
    Hello.
    I am 20 years old and when I was around 12 I had a major rock climbing accident. I lost my footing, the rocks below me gave out and I was on my way down the cliff. I snapped tendons and ligaments in my knees and have had to deal with a good amount of pain since then and I have been told by my dr that I will have pains for the rest of my life. I am not allowed to 1: run 2: jog 3: jump 4:be on my knees or put any consistent amount of pressure on them. These are doctors orders. I wear a knee brace sometimes but it cuts into the sensitive skin on the backs of my legs (the slip on braces do not fit me no matter what size they are.) I have looked all over for non velcro ones that do fit. This problem often causes me problems with my personal life. I love being the one on top with my boyfriend but my knees being bent and all the pressure and movement cause sharp stabbing pains which really upsets me because I feel like I cannot do the things I love and enjoy. I was wondering if there was anything I could do to possibly strengthen my legs so I can actually be in the crouching position for more then a minute or two. ( I cannot even sit with my legs "indian style" for more then a few minutes. My knee will also seize and lock up on me sometimes. Especially if its going to rain or be cold. Is there anything that I can try at all.. please and thanks your input would be greatly appreciated
    SGreenwood Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 16, 2007, 08:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by binx44
    Hello.
    I am 20 years old and when i was around 12 i had a major rock climbing accident. i lost my footing, the rocks below me gave out and i was on my way down the cliff. I snapped tendons and ligaments in my knees and have had to deal with a good amount of pain since then and i have been told by my dr that i will have pains for the rest of my life. I am not allowed to 1: run 2: jog 3: jump 4:be on my knees or put any consistent amount of pressure on them. these are doctors orders. I wear a knee brace sometimes but it cuts into the sensitive skin on the backs of my legs (the slip on braces do not fit me no matter what size they are.) i have looked all over for non velcro ones that do fit. This problem often causes me problems with my personal life. i love being the one on top with my bf but my knees being bent and all the pressure and movement cause sharp stabbing pains which really upsets me because i feel like i cannot do the things i love and enjoy. i was wondering if there was anything i could do to possibly strenghten my legs so i can actually be in the crouching position for more then a minute or two. ( i cannot even sit with my legs "indian style" for more then a few minutes. my knee will also seize and lock up on me sometimes. especially if its going to rain or be cold. Is there anything that i can try at all.. please and thanks your input would be greatly appreciated
    So, since your accident what exercise have you done involving the knees? What sort of physio did the doctors get you doing, and for how long?

My advice to you is to slowly, very slowly strengthen your legs through Yoga exercises. We in the West have got into the mentality of 'I want results now', when in actual fact, rehabilitation is down to gentle striving.

Your recovery will be long no doubt, but I'm confident that if you do the correct exercises (I suggest Yoga) then you will have your pain greatly alleviated eventually - just remember that the results aren't going to happen overnight. You may also feel discomfort or pain but as with any torn muscle/tendon the offending damaged part shortens as a result of the injury, and to repair & strengthen it, it must be lengthened to relieve tension on it's surrounding parts. The healing process may cause uncomfortableness but if any pain occurs you must be mindful when to rest- you must listen to your body.

I hope this helps.
    Ultra Member

Aug 16, 2007, 09:56 AM
    I walk a lot and have for years. Walking doesn't bother me much unless I walk a long distance. But when I walk into town it takes me about 35 minutes so it isn't bad. In all honesty I didn't do Physio. *embarrased look* I just took it easy on everything I did for a longg time. I was going through a weird time in my life back then. I didn't listen to anyone or even live at home. But I do do streaches every day and have for years it seems to help. I've been intrested in yoga for a while now since you mention it. I find it really intresting but don't know how to get into it. There are no yoga classes that I can find around here that I could afford. And the university in my town is not giving classes this year either. Can you learn it at home?
    SGreenwood Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 17, 2007, 12:49 AM
    Your weak knees are probably then caused by not being rehabilitated fully. It will be a long process but well worth it.

Whilst stretching may be a good idea, using Yoga principles in your stretches will make it much more safter. (It's been around for 1000's of years as it is!) And Yoga is perfectly possible to learn at home, although you will need at least one book on the subject. And there are a lot of books to choose from!

I recommend "Yoga: Path to Holistic Health" by B.K.S Iyengar, you can get this from Amazon no problem. This book is ideal as it addresses what postures to do for certain problems and how they affect you - so it will be a simple case of looking for ones that strengthen knees, etc.

The postures also have 360 degree camera shots, so you know you are doing it correctly and on top of that there are many 'props' used to help with certain postures and take stress off various parts of the body and to make it safer for the beginner.

Just remember you won't see results overnight, but I assure you will begin to feel results, and if you choose to do it, I wish you luck!
    Ultra Member

Aug 17, 2007, 03:35 AM
    Thank you so much:) I apprechate it

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Gout and Injury [ 2 Answers ]

Hi Guys and Girls of Ask Me HelpDesk I am re submitting this question to make a few points clear on the subject matter: I am an ex special forces operative, representing a former colleague of mine in a legal battle minefield, outside of the USA. I turned to law representation years ago. ...

Helping out a stranger [ 31 Answers ]

I had someone answer our roommate ad (I am the owner) she needed a place bad but weonly told her she can stay in a different "extra" room until she found a place (I basically helped a homeless person) by 7 days she wanted out and we wanted her out too. We gave her until may 26 (over 30 days to find...

Knee pain [ 1 Answers ]

I’m 7 weeks into a knee injury. I fell from 3 feet up on top of a wood bench going through the seating part catching my leg in the frame clipping my knee just below the kneecap and hyper extending as I rolled at the same time. I had a mri and x-rays at 4 weeks and was told that the lcl and meniscus...

Back injury [ 1 Answers ]

A person has an accident to his/her back and then has another accident 11 years after and this also affects the back which he injured in the first instance. Has anyone else suffered like this and hasn't been allowed by lawyers to put the two together when going to law ? This person is still...

I need a helping word [ 3 Answers ]

I am a CNA and I work for a company, and they are about to close for med fraud, so I am quiting. Here is my problem, I am very close to the people I stay with. I need to know if they quit the company that I work for now before I do Could I stay with them if I get a job with the new company they go...

View more questions Search