Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tusharm94 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 15, 2010, 11:12 PM
    How transformers work ?
    In a transformer when we pass current I at a voltage V, it induces current I' in secondary coil at some V' . Here the VI=V'I'. Now I am confused that in a way is energy not being "created"(which is not possible). The reason I am saying is while stepping up or down electrical energy of current in primary coil is not used or transformed and still current of same Power is induced. While I know how it's induced , I want to know is energy in a way not being created. Please help
    TommyBotham Posts: 18, Reputation: 0

Feb 16, 2010, 02:53 AM

Magnetism baby.

A current flowing in a primary coil will produce a magnetic field and cause a current to flow in the secondary coil. The primary current coil is effectivly the voltage of the secondary coil.

However, the magnitude of the voltage in the secondary coil depends on how many turns the primary coil has. B = (mu)IN

Where B = magnetic field
    Mu = a constant
    I = Current flowing through primary coil
    N = number of turns of coil.

In any case, energy will never be created out of nothing, it just depends on how much you want to step up or step down the current in the secondary coil.

I gave a pretty leyman explanation by the way.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Feb 16, 2010, 03:39 AM

By saying VI=V'I' your saying that VI=V'I' = k.

Hence power in = power out.

In reality power in is > power out since there are losses such as eddy current and magnetic coupling which can be ignored. Transformers can get warm. Wires vibrate for one.

If you have (120)(1) = (30)(4); power is constant.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Furnace Transformers [ 1 Answers ]

Train furnace blows 24 volt transformers new original and a new replacement what could cause this and what to check for next

Wiring transformers [ 2 Answers ]

When wiring a transformer, what does the XO symbol stand for?

Step down transformers [ 7 Answers ]

How many amps, at 400 volts, can I get from a 300 kva transformer?

Help with transformers PLEASE! [ 1 Answers ]

I have to make a simple transformer, that measures the output voltage from the secondary coil, with relation to the distance between the primary and the secondary coil. So, I don't have to make it a step up or step down transformer, I just have to see how the voltage changes with distance. So do...

View more questions Search