Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    benipald3 Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Feb 14, 2010, 05:07 PM
    inventory scenario
    Jack McDowell, the controller for McDowell Lumber Corporation, has recently hired you as assistant controller. He wishes to determine your expertise in the area of inventory accounting and therefore asks you to answer the following unrelated questions.

Instructions
    Write a memo to him that answers each of his questions:

(a)
    A company is involved in the wholesaling and retailing of automobile tires for foreign cars. Most of the inventory is imported, and it is valued on the company's records at the actual inventory cost plus freight-in. At year end, the warehousing costs are prorated over cost of goods sold and ending inventory. Are warehousing costs considered a product cost or a period cost?
    (b)
    A certain portion of a company's inventory consists of obsolete items. Should obsolete items that are not currently consumed in the production of goods or services to be available for sale be classified as part of inventory?
    (c)
    A company purchases airplanes for sale to others. However, until they are sold, the company charters and services the planes. What is the proper way to report these airplanes in the company's financial statements?
    (d)
    A company wants to buy coal deposits but does not want the financing for the purchase to be reported on its financial statements. The company therefore establishes a trust to acquire the coal deposits. The company agrees to buy the coal over a certain period at specified prices. The trust is able to finance the coal purchase and then pay off the loan when it is paid by the company for the minerals. How should this transaction be reported?
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Feb 16, 2010, 01:12 AM

Please see the guidelines for posting homework:
    https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/financ...-b-u-font.html
    legsars Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 27, 2012, 11:00 AM
    C. I believe it should be recoreded as product cost

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Inventory accounting - cost of inventory destroyed [ 2 Answers ]

Please assist me with the following questions: Citi-Wholesalers marks its purchases up by 25%. Its inventory was insured against fire, the policy being subject to average. A fire took place on 30th October 2007 and all inventory was destroyed except for items which had cost $40 000 which were...

How to find ending inventory using the average inventory cost method [ 3 Answers ]

The Boxwood Company Sells blankets for $60 each. Purchase 5 units 30$ Purchase 10 units 34$ Purchase 10 units 40$ Sale 3 units Sale 6 units Sale 3 units Assuming that the company uses the perpetual inventory system, determine the ending inventory for the month of May using the average...

Determine the ending inventory under a perpetual inventory system [ 1 Answers ]

Hi ! I've honestly spent a long time trying to figure this out, but I keep getting the answer wrong and I'm not sure how I should go about this question. I'm not asking for you to just give me the answer, if you have time to give a little explanation that would be nice so I could understand what...

Scenario [ 2 Answers ]

How do I install a 150W driveway light 200m from the house, the light switch is on the wall outside the front door under the porch

Periodic inventory worksheet-Merchandise Inventory [ 1 Answers ]

I can't figure out what I am missing under a periodic inventory. My beginning merchadise inventory as of jan 1 is 20,000. Merchandise inventory at Jan 31st is 15000. How do I record on the worksheet the diffrence between the beginning and ending merchandise inventory. Do I have to add an...

View more questions Search