Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vividdaze12 Posts: 30, Reputation: 4

Sep 14, 2008, 07:24 PM
    Questions with no answers
    I am in my early 30's married with no children. I am over weight and have been approved for a lap band because of medical reasons. I am in my fourth month, of "training" for my surgery. The problem is I have questions that just feel stupid. I was wondering if there is any one out there that has had this surgery and what they really think of it. One of my big worries is that I love to eat. I worry that I will never be able to enjoy a meal again. I have talked to some people that tell me they never crave the food they used to. Yea right! I can not truly believe there will be a day I don't want certain foods. I just need to know that after your body gets used to eating differently will I be able to enjoy my meals or not? What food will I not be able to eat, and which will I eat. I have been given the post op diet plan but what about after that? What if I get pregnant? Will they be able to loosen the band and let me eat enough then? Any help is appreciated
    liz28 Posts: 4,662, Reputation: 1034
    Ultra Member

Sep 17, 2008, 11:47 AM
    I don't think your questions are stupid but is out of concerns and you should have concerns whenever your getting surgery and should express it to your doctor before getting the lap band.

My friend has the lap band and she still enjoys her food. The lap band goes on your stomach and controls your eating habits but it can slide off and if that happenns it must be put on again. Yes you can get pregnant because it not a form of birth control but if your thinking of having kids you shouldn't get it because I believe you must wait for 2 years. You should continue with the diet plan given or continue a diet after the surgery, otherwise it was a waste getting the lap band. Eating or what you eat, to me is mind over matter. When I went on my diet I had to give up things and craved the badly when I did but with time it past so in order to not eat them you have to get your mind in set and think of it as fat. Does your doctor say that you exercise too?

Talk with your doctor about all your concerns and side effects before getting the lap band.
    linnealand Posts: 1,088, Reputation: 216
    Ultra Member

Sep 18, 2008, 01:16 PM
    I don't have any information for you regarding lap bands, but I want to say that any major change like that has to be paired with a completely different mental attitude about food too. Do you cook? If not, this can become your excuse to learn to prepare incredible and healthy meals at home. If you do cook, start by buying a big stack of healthy cookbooks and stick to those exclusively. If there is ONE cuisine that combines incredibly delicious recipes with the bonus of being incredibly good for you, it's TUSCAN. I wish you luck!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Collapsing answers in list of questions. [ 16 Answers ]

See this example: http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/ It is nearly exactly what I want to do - except that in this example, many of the questions open up to a 3rd "level". I want to make a FAQ page just like it. I'm playing with some similar ideas ...

View more questions Search