Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    EternalWheel Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 26, 2006, 12:01 PM
    Sodium to Carbon?
    1. Is it possible to convert Sodium to Carbon, if so, how?

2. How does one remove electrons from an atom who's first and second shell are "static"?

3. Is it possible to add an negative charge to the first shell of a Sodium atom and thereby converting it to another element without having to destroy its nucleus?

Please forgive me if the answers are obvious, I am new to physics, but do want to know.

-EternalWheel
    tucsonmac Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Jul 4, 2006, 10:37 AM
    To change Na to C you need to lose 5 protons. I am not a chemist, so I don't know how to make Sodium an isotope that could decay.
    colbtech Posts: 748, Reputation: 66

Jul 5, 2006, 08:02 AM
    Is this the same as adding/removing a "thingy" from LEAD. Then I could convert it to GOLD. Shh! Don't tell anyone.
    Kadehadaire Posts: 197, Reputation: 10

Jul 6, 2006, 11:25 AM
    Alchemists have been trying to do that for ages! Hee hee. If you find out how, let me know. ;)
    kev1979 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jul 28, 2006, 10:26 AM
    In theory this can be done but it would cast a huge amount of money (far more than the gold would be worth), and the gold would be highly radioactive so wouldn't be useful - unless you wanted a pair of extremely expensive radioactive earings perhaps.
    seong8737 Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Jul 27, 2007, 08:07 AM
    As I know Sodium and Carbon have their own identity. So it can't be converted. But if it so sodium need to loss 5 electron, 5 proton, and 6 neutron. Changing a metal(Na) to Semi-Metal(C) is also a problem.

I'm not pro in chemist so don't angry if not accurate.
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Jul 27, 2007, 09:06 AM
    Nobody's going to be angry. But we might be angry at you replying to a thread which is over a year old :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wood Trim manufacturing and Carbon Fiber [ 4 Answers ]

I have a jaguar S-type 2005. The gear shift knob handle on it is made from real/authentic Honey Burl wood (which matches the rest of the car's interior). Anyway, I was wondering how to manufacture a piece like this (like a 3D solid piece, NOT a flat type piece). I have researched that the...

Carbon monxide and the white chalk ash present [ 1 Answers ]

Can someone give me the chemical make up, or any information, of the white chalky ash that is sometimes produced when carbon monxide is created. I have found it many times when doing a carbon monoxide test on heating systems and carbon monxide was found. I have not found, it that I remember, if...

View more questions Search