Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    stephy2915 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 16, 2009, 10:39 AM
    Suing timeline
    Can I sue someone in small claims after 15 years if I have written documents
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Aug 16, 2009, 10:45 AM

Even if you could the Judge would be wanting to know exactly why it took you so long. That alone wouldn't be real in your favor
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Aug 16, 2009, 10:50 AM
    It's highly doubtful. 15 years is quite a long time, especially for a "small claim." And as N0help pointed out, no judge is likely to take a 15-year-old small claim seriously.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 16, 2009, 12:15 PM

What kind of claim? Appears your claim is out of Statute - unless it is a claim on behalf of a minor.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Aug 17, 2009, 10:35 AM

The statute of limitations is less than 15 years in every state.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 17, 2009, 10:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by AK lawyer View Post
    The statute of limitations is less than 15 years in every state.

15 years from the last activity, the last payment. I see no indication what type of matter this is and it is entirely possible it's a 15 year old contract with no payments in the past 2 or 3 years.

More info needed to give an accurate legal opinion

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is the process and timeline for I-130 [ 1 Answers ]

I just submitted the I-130 petition for alien resident for my mother who is a Jamaican citizen. She is currently in Jamaica. I am a natueralized US citizen living in SC. I checked on the USCIS website and they currently have a 6 mnth backlog for I-130 processing. What is the process and...

Chlamydia timeline. [ 1 Answers ]

I have just been diagnosed with Chlamydia after suffering from dyspareunia for about a year. At first I thought the pain was because I was on anti-depressants and really stressed after planning my wedding, and I just wasn't "in the mood" but when it continued after I felt emotionally better, I went...

3 Day Pay or Quit.What is the timeline? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I would like to know how long do you have to move if you are given a 3 Day Pay or Quit notice before you are locked out? What happens after the 3 days and if I do not respond how long will I have to move before anything major happens? I have lived in a building in California for a little over...

Eviction timeline II [ 3 Answers ]

DUE TO FORECLOSEURE Is there any way to get a judge to allow me time to pick up and move? I figured I had at least a month to move and was trying up to the last minute to get the money to stop the foreclosure so I haven't even started packing. EDIT: I have been told I have 5 days by the buyer,...

View more questions Search