Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Blueheat Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 19, 2009, 07:23 PM
    Install a free vinyl window.
    How do I install a new (free) horizontal sliding glass window into my old construction shed. It has no nailing flanges, it is 35-1/2 in. X 41-1/2 in.
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Jul 19, 2009, 11:54 PM

If you know what the manufactures of the window is sometimes you can purchase nailing flanges. A couple of ways to do this.

If there is a way to screw on the inside of the frame jambs to secure then do that. Or

Think of the whole window unit as a pane of glass and a 3/4" ( pine) boards around the frame. This is now your rough opening you need on the 3 sides ( not the sill ). Think of the sill thickness in wood and add that to the bottom window dimensions.

Rough frame in. Add the 3/4 pine to sides and a wood sill of the thickness you want. Recess the window in that pine finished opening deep enough to use wood stops inside and out.

You need to calculate ahead of time the depth the window will sit in before you add the sill. We usually use a 2x6 and power plane a slope on that and leaving enough flat for the window to sit so there is little to now gap. I power plane slopes. If you are good with the circ saw use that to cut the slope, snad smooth before setting the wood sill sill.
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Jul 20, 2009, 02:35 AM

The window u have is called a 'replacement window'. It is designed to go in an existing window frame.

I agree with 21 Boat. U have to build a frame. It should be 1/4'' wider and higher then window unit. Use 1/2 x3/4 for outside stop on 2 sides and top. Put bead of caulking on inside edge of stop and push window into stop.

Should be 2 mounting holes for screws on each side. Check for level and plumb before screwing down.

Chuck

Jul 20, 2009, 05:52 AM
    :)Thanks, 21 boat, I think your answer will be very helpful. Before I begin I think I'll try to find the nailing flanges for this window.

Quote Originally Posted by 21boat View Post
    If you know what the manufactures of the window is sometimes you can purchase nailing flanges. A couple of ways to do this.

If there is a way to screw on the inside of the frame jambs to secure then do that. Or

Think of the whole window unit as a pane of glass and a 3/4" ( pine) boards around the frame. This is now your rough opening you need on the 3 sides ( not the sill ). Think of the sill thickness in wood and add that to the bottom window dimensions.

Rough frame in. Add the 3/4 pine to sides and a wood sill of the thickness you want. Recess the window in that pine finished opening deep enough to use wood stops inside and out.

You need to calculate ahead of time the depth the window will sit in before you add the sill. We usually use a 2x6 and power plane a slope on that and leaving enough flat for the window to sit so there is little to now gap. I power plane slopes. If you are good with the circ saw use that to cut the slope, snad smooth before setting the wood sill sill.

Jul 20, 2009, 05:58 AM
    :)Thanks, Creahands, I think you answer may be very helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by creahands View Post
    The window u have is called a 'replacement window'. It is designed to go in an existing window frame.

I agree with 21 Boat. U have to build a frame. It should be 1/4'' wider and higher then window unit. Use 1/2 x3/4 for outside stop on 2 sides and top. Put bead of caulking on inside edge of stop and push window into stop.

Should be 2 mounting holes for screws on each side. Check for level and plumb before screwing down.

Chuck
    glassdoc Posts: 17, Reputation: 3

Jul 21, 2009, 02:36 PM

This is a replacement window. It is designed to be screwed in through the jamb of the window from the inside. You MAY find pre-drilled holes in the jamb on the inside approx. 3 - 6 inches from the bottom and the top. It MAY have a foam wrap around the exterior for insulation. Build your opening 1/4" wider and taller. Insert the window in your opening and put 2 screws in each side. For trouble free operation make sure it is plumb and level. Caulk the exterior and interior and install trim as desired.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Install a window [ 8 Answers ]

I am installing a new window in the basement. The window is 37" high by 45"long. Can I getv away with using 4" angled iron above the window on both sides. Or must I install a header? Thanks

How to install replacement vinyl windows into a concrete basement. [ 5 Answers ]

We have a 1955 bungalow. We want to replace the original wooden windows in the basement with vinyl sliding windows. The basement walls are about 8" concrete. The rough opening is 36" x 24" We believe that we need to remove the old windows and frame, then put in a new frame of pressured treated...

Vinyl Window Replacement [ 6 Answers ]

I want to replace my aluminum frame windows with replacement vinyl. The old windows have a flange, which was nailed to the studs, then the siding was nailed on top of it. The window replacement people say they will "collapse" the frame to pull out the flange. I have seen a video, they first...

Estimating vinyl window installation cost [ 1 Answers ]

What should I pay to have 8 new vinyl windows installed in my house? Measurements are 28" by 64". Old windows will have to be removed also.

How to replace damaged old wood casement windows with a vinyl casement window? [ 3 Answers ]

I have very old Pella Wood interior casement windows where the sashes are starting to sag. I want to replace them with a vinyl casement window, but I don't know how to get rid of the old hardware in order to put in a vinyl casement window. I have vinyl siding with j-channel applied to the siding....

View more questions Search