Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shanakber Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 25, 2007, 12:16 PM
    Divorice decisions
    Hello my name is shan. I want to know the process of divorice. I was married to my wife in my culture in our church but there is no paperwork showing that I was married to her. I did file taxes with her. We have been separated for two years now. And I want to get remarried. But I am not sure what to do. Does this mean I was married or was not married since I have no paperwork showing that I was married to her. But we still filed taxes together. Please help me.
    XenoSapien Posts: 627, Reputation: 42

Jul 25, 2007, 06:43 PM
    If you never divorced, you are still married. But I have many questions to follow yours: What is your culture/church? Probably a good idea to start there, but if you are in the U.S. you'll have to work with U.S. law.

XenoSapien
    Kattalover Posts: 120, Reputation: 20

Jul 26, 2007, 07:56 AM
    You say you got married in your church & culture, so I assume you're an immigrant/legal resident. In this case, I'd say it depends on what you put in your paperwork when you moved to the States. If you stated "married", I would think that you're considered legally married in the US, but I'm not an attorney, so I'm just assuming.

Also: are you saying you've been separated for two years but have filed your taxes as "married, filing jointly"?

In any case, if I were you, I'd probably seek legal advice.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Divorice question [ 4 Answers ]

We live in Colorado. My husband and I own our own land development company. We have monies that will come to us when the final sale of these properties occurs. They are still currently on the market. If I divorce him before the sales occur, am I still entitled to my 50%? We have been married 18...

Divorice and children [ 1 Answers ]

Is it againsy Ca law to take your kids on a trip out of the state without telling husband? My daughter is thinking about divorice but hasn't started the proceedings yet?

Divorice [ 2 Answers ]

I Left My Husband A Year Ago And Want A Divorice. I Lost My Job And We Own Our Home, He Lives There And I Am In An Apartment. What Can I Do To Have Rights To Our Home After The Divorice?

Divorice question [ 11 Answers ]

My 21 year old daughter is trying to get a divorice, however her soon to be ex- spouce is no where to be found. We were told that we could post an personal add the paper and if he don't respond within a certain amount of time her divorice would be granted. The problem is that we don't know how to...

Decisions, decisions help [ 1 Answers ]

I have been offered a job out of state. Will I be taking that job and moving.

View more questions Search