Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RLeasure Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 6, 2008, 05:44 PM
    Can my Circuit breakers add up to more than my main breaker?
    I have a 100 amp main and all of the circuit breakers in my main service panel and my sub-panel add up to about 180 amps. Is this all right or do I need to upgrade to a 200 amp main? Any help would be appreciated thanks!
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Dec 6, 2008, 06:34 PM
    Yes,

Can my Circuit breakers add up to more than my main breaker?

Adding the branch breaker ratings is totally irrelevant.

The Main is sized according to the calculated load, and each breaker is sized by other means, and often do end up much more than the main.

Why do you ask?

Is there a problem your having, or just curious?

The detailed answer is much more than I have given, but too detailed to give now without knowing why you ask.

If your inquisitive and like to read, review Article 220 of the NFPA 70: National Electrical CodeŽ.

You will see why electricians are usually so grumpy.
    guimo Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 25, 2010, 08:24 PM

Hello there TKR,would you please explain a bit more about this subject,see, I'm just an apprentice and had asked the same question where I work but they just tell me "it doesn't work that way".Thanks in advance.
    Uber Member

Mar 26, 2010, 02:47 AM
    Usually when you get an answer like that, means they don't know.

To be fair, he,he he, they probably know but don't know how to explain it.

Keep asking questions, read as much as you can, get your on the job training, take your appreticship classes, and believe it or not, some day this trade will all make sense.

Services are sized according to Article 220, and are rated to handle the total CALCULATED load. You will notice, you add up certain loads per Art 220, use the examples in the back of the NEC book, and the first 3000 watts are at 100%, and only 35% of the remaining are added to the first 100%, the other certain loads are added at 100%.

The 35% rating helps reduce the total load, as it has been determined that not all load will be on at the same time.

This does not prevent each circuit from being rated individually. So, for example, there will be a 20 amp breaker for the laundry, however, a clothes washer does not draw 20 amps. The circuit is rated to handle a motor that runs at, say, 10 amps, but motors need larger breakers than the running load to allow overcoming the locked rotor amperage, sometimes, but, erroneously called in rush amps.

Certain loads, that will be considered as running more than three hours, will be considered as continuous, and that circuit the breaker must be rated 25% higher than the running load, or no more than 80% of the rating of the breaker.

So, hopefully, you can see, by adding the rating of each breaker, and each breaker is a bit higher than what each circuit really draws, the total will add up to more than the Main.

The 35% is called a demand factor, after learning Article 220 completely you will find other demand factors.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Mar 26, 2010, 06:38 AM

Probably 99% of Panels I see, the breakers total more than the Service size.
    guimo Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 27, 2010, 06:43 AM

tkrussell,thank you very much for your explanation and advise,certainly I do need read more and learn about this subject,I hope you don't mind if I come up with some more questions.
    Uber Member

Mar 28, 2010, 04:43 AM
    guimo, your welcome, and ask away, that is what we are here for.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

100A main circuit breaker trips [ 1 Answers ]

I just installed a new hot tub running off a 50A GFCI sub panel to a 60A circuit breaker in the main panel. After about ten minutes of running both pumps on the hot tub, the main 100A breaker trips and it is warm with an odour coming from the main breaker. I have checked all the breakers in the...

Override Main Circuit Breaker [ 4 Answers ]

I am planning of installing two instant water heaters each rated at 240V/60A My electricity company will not provide MCB higher than 50A Does anyone know of any solution to override the MCB? Use of AC capacitors (e.g. charging at 20A to 720V and discharging at 60A at 240V) If such solution is...

Main circuit breaker [ 12 Answers ]

The main circuit breaker keeps triping when it gets hot could it be old and need changing

Main breaker flips off before lesser breakers go [ 1 Answers ]

My problem is the main breaker in the house will flip off before any of the smaller specific breakers flip off. Something is getting overloaded but the smaller breakers are not taking the load.

Blowing Main Circuit Breaker [ 1 Answers ]

I have a electric dryer that is 220 volt. When I turn it on, after about 15 minutes it doesn't blow it's own 30 amp breaker, but blows the 100 amp main breaker. I can shut off the 30 amp breaker specifically for the dryer and it shuts it off. Any ideas??

View more questions Search