Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dikely Posts: 19, Reputation: 1

Jan 13, 2008, 07:31 PM
    Speed training
    What is the best speed workout without using or buying equiptment. A workout that as a result will separate my burst and speed from others.
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

Jan 13, 2008, 07:40 PM
    I'd start with suicides. Also, believe it or not, swimming helps your speed quite a bit. Try to swim about half a mile a day. You'll notice your speed increases quite a bit.
    wewed100606 Posts: 228, Reputation: 36

Jan 26, 2008, 12:51 PM
    Wow, it has been awhile since you posted this. I guess this section of the HelpDesk doesn't get much love. Anyway, you best shot at building speed is called PLYOMETRICS. I can give you two excercises that if you do only them will greatly enhance your QUICKNESS. No "equipment" needed.

The first is know to me as the frog squat. Get yourself a big open space (gym would work fine, or a decent size hallway... even outside if it isn't 20 below like here). You will start in a squatting position knees apart hands on the ground (just like a frog). You will explode (jump) as high as you can and about 3-4 feet forward landing into the same as the starting position and then instantly resetting yourself and repeating this process for about 30 yds. Take a little breather and head back. I would do about 3 or four sets and call it a day.

Second exercise will require an eighteen inch high box that can support your weight or a stair high enough, or ledge something of the sort. It is a simple exercise. You are basically going to stand feet under shoulder width apart and jump (with both legs) onto the box and back down. Do as many as you can.

I would only do the PLYOS every other day at the most. You ARE GOING TO FEELS THESE!

These excercises as well as short, all out sprints with stops and starts are going to build "quick twitch" muscle fibers which are what you utilize in quickness (ie the name). Jogging, weight lifting, swimming, etc. build "slow twitch" muscle. NOT GOOD FOR QUICKNESS :-)

Remember, building quickness is about EXPLOSION! If there isn't some type of BURST in your exercise, it is doing nothing for your quickness.

Also, do not underestimate your upper body's effect on speed. Stron shoulders will give you more PUSH to add quick momentum!

Later Bro! Hope I helped!
    stillinlove5 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

May 27, 2008, 06:20 PM
    Find a staircase:

Sprint up the stairs making sure you step on every step, walk down, repeat 5 times. Do 3 sets with rests in between.

Hop up the stairs, 3 sets of 5 times each.

Hop up the stairs, skipping a step, 3 sets of 5 times each.

If you're feeling good, try 1 foot hops up the stairs, 3 sets of 3 times each.

You may need to make adjustments to the reps depending on the length of the staircase and your ability. Be careful not to fall down the stairs, STOP if you feel you are losing your balance. Good Luck!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Difference between true air speed and equivalent air speed [ 4 Answers ]

What is the difference between the two and when an aircraft is flying at altitude what is its actual speed

High-speed Cable/low Speed Operation [ 1 Answers ]

I had Time Warner Cable(TWC) Road Runner service(high-speed cable) installed recently on my Panasonic CF-47 Laptop. It turns out that it operates two times SLOWER than Dial-Up!! I have a W98 O/S. The High-speed cable into the computer measures normal(as measured by a super-tech with TWC). After he...

3 speed ceiling fan only has 1 speed [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 3 speed Hunter ceiling that I rarely turn off and all 3 speeds had been working. I recently turned it off and when I turned it back on, only the high speed is working. I assumed the switch was bad and replaced it. I still only have the High speed. Has anyone had this problem before? ...

Training for 5K [ 2 Answers ]

I've reluctantly agreed to do a 5K one month from today- I'm overweight (5' 5" and 170lbs:( ) and very out of shape so I need to start training. Any suggestions on how to start? Currently the only exercise I get outside of normal daily activities of caring for a home and 2 small children is...

Training [ 2 Answers ]

I have a five year old lab and golden retriver mix. I have a problem with him listening to me outside. He listens good to commands inside but when I take him out or he breaks loose he will not come back to me. I have never hit or abused him . I don't know what to do about it. He knows what...

View more questions Search