Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rolo1963 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 27, 2007, 07:12 PM
    Ceiling Paint is peeling while painting ceiling.
    While painting the ceiling the wet paint is peeling the old paint in different areas of the ceiling... It has been raining a long period... Could that be it? This is only happening in the bathroom... It did not happen in the kitchen except under the newly installed light fixture... The living room and dinning room did not peel...
    schwim Posts: 132, Reputation: 22

Aug 27, 2007, 07:32 PM
    Hi there Rolo,

Most common reason for it happening in the bathroom is because of a high moisture content due to the shower/bath. Another popular reason is dirt/mildew or chemical residue(from cleaners).

Now that you have paint on there that is not sticking well, I would consider allowing it to air out maybe even using some heat to help, then brush any loose paint off with as stiff as a brush as you can use without damaging the texture. Once that is done, I'd use some liquid paint prep(I forget the name, but it's called something like "liquid sander"). This removes any contaminates and residue for good adherence.

My final suggestion would be to prime before painting, as a good primer goes a long way towards blocking moisture.

Once you're done painting, allow it some time to cure before hitting the steam bath :)

Thanks,
    Json
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Aug 27, 2007, 07:46 PM
    If the old paint is peeling off, the surface wasn't clean when it was applied. You are going to have to scrape, sand, peel, strip or something to get it off. Once you have a clean, solid surface, the paint should stick. By the way, ceiling paint is a rip off. Wall paint often costs the same, and hides better.
    glavine Posts: 895, Reputation: 87

Aug 27, 2007, 08:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by labman
    If the old paint is peeling off, the surface wasn't clean when it was applied. You are going to have to scrape, sand, peel, strip or something to get it off. Once you have a clean, solid surface, the paint should stick. By the way, ceiling paint is a rip off. Wall paint often costs the same, and hides better.
    Correcto, did you have a textured ceiling at one time? Painting is all about prep work,
    Sand those areas or scrap them back down,
    If you need to use sheetrock mud do so now. After you'd patched the areas and sanded them. Use kilz primer laytex or oil. This should solve the problem, then paint away
    jef1056 Posts: 70, Reputation: 5

Sep 4, 2007, 12:46 PM
    One other problem could be the ceiling is painted with a calcimine paint. Basically chalk. Do a Google search or check this site and see if it sounds like your problem.
    Cures for Calcimine Ceilings
    niknaknoo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 16, 2010, 06:36 PM
    I painted my living room ceiling and it bubbled and peels so scraped it all off wiitch as now left a yellowish greasy looking marks I've tried to paint it aqgain but not covering well at all what should I do

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Using Ceiling Paint as Primer [ 14 Answers ]

I've go a ton of left over off-white ceiling paint. Can I use that as a primer for newly constructed drywall walls, or would that be, well, stupid? Or at the very least, a waste of time.

Painting a basement ceiling [ 10 Answers ]

I'm planning on finishing my basement. I have preliminary ruled out drywall and installing a drop ceiling. I have decided on painting the ceiling all black much like they do in a lot of restaurants. My question is what is the best and easiest way to paint a basement ceiling? Thanks for your...

Ceiling paint [ 3 Answers ]

Had drywall repair done on ceiling, painted that area with good primer. Painted entire ceiling white, drywall area still appeared. Painted drywall area several more times. Still shows... What do I do to correct this problem?

Ceiling paint [ 2 Answers ]

We have painted our kitchen ceiling many times. About 9 months after painting the ceiling, we can notice dark spots. The spots are where the nails are (THE SPOTS ARE NOT NAIL POPS). You can also see where the studs are at. How do we cover this once and for all? Will a darker ceiling paint...

Painting an unfinished basement ceiling [ 1 Answers ]

We are finishing our basement and have decided to paint the unfinished basement ceiling. I'm looking to insilate between the floor for sound proofing. What are the best solutions to do this. Also what suggestion on shade of paint light or dark,textured or smooth,laytext or oil based. All help is...

View more questions Search