Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    teamsonia Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 11, 2005, 11:30 AM
    New shower - backed up drain causing leak
    Two months ago, we installed a new stone tile shower -the contractor installed a lead shower pan along with cement bed. Tiles were installed using thin set + Laticrete Superflexible Adhesive; tiles/grout were sealed with 511 impregnator. The shower drain recently backed up creating a 1-inch pool in the shower - the pool did drain, but also leaked into the ceiling in the floor below (quite a bit of water leaked through - say 5 gallons). We removed the clog with a long snake and then tested for leaks - after running water for quite awhile, we found no further leaks. However, I find it odd that a backed up drain should cause such a leak -> is this normal/to be expected? Any suggestions on how to tackle the problem?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 11, 2005, 01:01 PM
    We quit panning our showers with lead back in the seventys. It was too easy to slip and poke a hole in it. We used Compatite and later Blue Brute heavy plastic for our shower pans. Several things would cause the leak you describe. Perhaps there is a small hole in the lead pan or the weep holes were blocked by mortar, Could be a bad connection around the trap that only shows when the line is backed up and full. Any way you look at it the shower should hold and contain a one inch head of water and not leak it out. I would get the contractor back and have him find and repair the leak. In our new construction we block off the drain before the tile man starts to tile and run a few inches of water in the pan and let it set to see if we had any leaks before any more work is done. It's apparent the contractor failed to do that. Leaks can only get worse, they never heal themselves. Don't let the warranty, (You DID get one didn't you?) run out before you complain. Call him back to do the job right. You may want to block off the drain and fill the base with a inch or so of water and let it set just to make sure the leak's in the pan and not in the trap or drain line. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Shower drain leak [ 3 Answers ]

Hi there…we have a leak in our second floor shower drain. This had happened once before we bought the house (you can see where they patched the ceiling drywall). We have opened up the ceiling and managed to get the nut loosened from the underside of the drain. There was a paper gasket (which...

Shower drain leak [ 1 Answers ]

I have a leak in my shower drain, and I am fairly confident it is between the two screw-in pieces of the drain. The problem I have is it is an upstairs shower, so I do not have access to the floor plumbing at the moment (I may have to start cutting some ceilings :-). Even if I did, the assembly is...

Shower drain leak [ 2 Answers ]

My upstairs fiberglass shower doesn't leak when you run water in it, but leaks when someone is taking a shower. I've checked out all possible leaks and it seems the only thing I can figure out is the floor "gives" with the person's weight. How can I fix this without taking the whole floor out? ...

Shower drain causing Toilet overflow [ 1 Answers ]

I am in the process of replacing the commode in my bathroom, the old commode is removed and that leaves the toilet hole exposed, for the time being. During this time, water in the shower is turned on. The shower is about 4 feet away from the toilet. About 15 minutes later, water starts seeping...

Shower Drain Leak [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 36"x42" fiberglass shower (mfg: Jacuzzi) on the second floor that is leaking from the drain. I have opened up the ceiling on the first floor for access and had a plumber take a look at it. Appaently the problem is caused by a slight movement of the drain when someone steps into the shower...

View more questions Search