Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kevdjack7 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 21, 2006, 06:44 AM
    No Heat and NO Air
    I have a Payne heating and air conditioning system with a heat pump and when I turn it on heat no HOT air blows and when I turn it on air no COLD air blow and nothing blows when the thermostat is placed in the Emergency. I had someone to come over and they checked the furnace and the unit on the outside and it seems as if eveything has the correct voltage and when he manually made the fan on the unit outside of the house come on (the fan does not blow unless it is done manually), no air was blowing on the inside. I was told that it could be the fan control center on the furnace or it could be something with the chip board on the unit outside of the house and was wondering if that sounds correct? The unit is only 4 years old and is all electric. Thanks in advance.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 21, 2006, 07:23 AM
    Both the fan control center and the chip board have relays that use smaller currents to switch larger ones. The relays tend to be less reliable than other components. So, yes, that is likely where the problem is. Tracking those things down and fixing them can be a challenge for even experienced DIY.

Post back with details on what if anything happens when you turn it to heat, and I will try to help. 3 things haver to happen. The reversing valves must be in the heat position, the outside compressor running, and the fan inside running.

Oct 21, 2006, 07:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by kevdjack7
    I have a Payne heating and air conditioning system with a heat pump and when I turn it on heat no air blows and the same thing happens when I turn it on air or on the Emergency. I had someone to come over and they checked the furnance and the unit on the outside and it seems as if eveything has the correct voltage and when he manually made the fan on the unit outside of the house come on (the fan does not blow unless it is done manually), no air was blowing on the inside. I was told that it could be the fan control center on the furnance or it could be something with the chip board on the unit outside of the house and was wondering if that sounds correct? The unit is only 4 years old and is all electric. Thanks in advance.
    Since I am not experienced in the HVAC, nothing happens (no HOT air blows) when I turn it to heat but the guy who diagnosed the problem before says that everything seems to be working properly when it was in the heat position. Thanks for the help, I am going to call a repairman and hopefully that is the problem but I will repost once it is up and running.
    NorthernHeat Posts: 1,455, Reputation: 132
    Ultra Member

Oct 21, 2006, 09:19 AM
    I would hope your furnace had a 5 year part warranty. It is very rare that a PC board would fail in only 4 years, but voltage spikes and lightning hits can ruin one in no time. I'd call the company who installed it, you should only have to pay the diagnostic fee, and labor, maybe $125.00. I hope the person who came out doesn't do HVAC for a profession, this doesn't sound like a hard problem to diagnose. Also, it is very unlikely from you symptoms that this problems has anything to do with the outside unit.

Nov 12, 2006, 04:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthernHeat
    I would hope your furnace had a 5 year part warranty. It is very rare that a PC board would fail in only 4 years, but voltage spikes and lightning hits can ruin one in no time. I'd call the company who installed it, you should only have to pay the diagnostic fee, and labor, maybe $125.00. I hope the person who came out doesn't do HVAC for a profession, this doesn't sound like a hard problem to diagnose. Also, it is very unlikely from you symptoms that this problems has anything to do with the outside unit.

Solution: There was a short in one of the wires from the unit to the thermostat that caused the transformer to blow. The fan control center board was still good and once the transformer was replaced and the short located the unit is working like a charm

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Gas forced air heater won't turn heat on [ 6 Answers ]

My honeywell thermostat electric, shows "filter" change light blinking and won't turn on the heater when turned up. The thermostat will 'click' when temp turned up and I can manually turn on the fan but no fire in the heater. The thermostat is 1 year old, filter changed

Ductless Air Conditioner/Heat Pump [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 225 sq.ft. insulated bonus room with a 7' ceiling over my garage. Although there are two supply lines and a return to this room from 3 Ton Central Air unit they are not sufficient to cool or heat this room. In fact, the 3 ton unit was really only sized for the 2500 sq. ft. main floor. ...

No heat or air need asap [ 1 Answers ]

I have no heat or air coming from the vents in my house. But outside the fan is turning on the unit. Please Help??

Installing Central Heat & Air [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 100 year old, two story ranch house, with NO insulation. Currently all that warms the house is one wall heater and one (seperate) A/C. I want to install a central heat and air unit. My question is: Do I need to install the central Heat and Air PRIOR to putting in insulation? Or can...

Central heat and air [ 1 Answers ]

I'm planning on installing central heat and air in my home. My question is.. Where does the return need to be? And what size should the ducts be from the plenum to the rest of the house?

View more questions Search