Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cjaluy Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 13, 2011, 02:33 AM
    Toilet tank leaking from tank bolt on left side only
    After installing the tank, it won't initially leak but the left side will start to leak. Don't see any cracks. What is the right sequence for using the washers and nuts to the bolt? Do I first put a metal washer, then a rubber washer through the bolt and then put it through the tank, and then another rubber washer, metal washer and nut just under the tank? Thereafter, put the tank over the bowl and screw another rubber washer, metal washer and nut to fasten the tank to the bowl? Or should I just put a rubber washer through the bolt, then put bolt into tank, and then put the bolts through the bowl and fasten the tank to the bowl?

No matter what sequence of washers I do, the left side leaks. Does this have something to do with the water line? I have a rigid one right now and seems like the leak gets worse when I tighten the water line.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 13, 2011, 06:10 AM

Hi Cjaluy...

There are a couple different ways to do it, but one thing never changes...

No metal washers go on the inside of the tank.

Here, you can just install the rubber washer to the bolt and then stick the bolt through the tank and bowl and then install a metal washer and nut... tighten and all done.

Another way is to install the rubber washer and bolt through the tank and then install another rubber washer, a metal washer and a nut and tighten up pretty well and then install this to the toilet bowl where you would install metal washers and nuts and tighten.

Finally, you could also install the rubber washer and bolt through the tank and then install another rubber washer, a metal washer and a nut and tighten up pretty well and then install this to the toilet bowl where you would install rubber washers, metal washers and then the nuts and tighten.

All of these work as long as you use rubber washer only on the inside!

Questions? Let me know, OK?

Mark

Feb 14, 2011, 12:42 AM
    Thanks Mark! I re-read the instructions of the package multiple times, and installed the rubber washer to the bolt, and then fastened this to the bottom of the tank with a metal washer & nut. Then, placed the bolt through the bowl, and connected with a rubber washer, metal washer & nut. It was different from what it was originally - the original was what you suggested in the 1st paragraph but when I did that in one of my 1st few attempts, it leaked. I have tightened the nut as much as I think I could but it still started to have leaks, and seems like it has now moved to the center & to the right! And this is even after I replaced the toilet connection with a flexible tube.

I went back to Home Depot to re-check if I bought the right sponge gasket (spud washer?) and looks like I did. A very helpful sales person suggested I apply silicone on everything that is rubber that is placed against ceramic so I have bought a $4 tube of silicone.

Sigh... had to dismantle everything again to the nth time! Wipe dried everything, and have applied silicone on everything. Re-installed the new flush valve that was the reason why I am doing this repair, put silicone on the rubber gasket, and re-tightened the locking nut of the flush valve. Placed the sponge gasket onto the flush valve and placed silicone as well on it, inside and out. Even the rubber washers, I have placed silicone on them before attaching them to the bolts, and everywhere where I think water can leak. So I am giving this an overnight drying period. And will keep my fingers crossed that this will work this time. If not, I don't know what else to do.

By the way, one thing I just realized is that the tank is not levelled and is slightly tilting to one side. Hmmmm, another possibility for the cause of the leak perhaps? Should have thought of using a leveller. Well... I'll find out tomorrow when I fill the tank to test it if the slight tilt of the tank to one side. I dare not touch anything now that the silcone is drying up.

Wish me luck!
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 14, 2011, 08:10 AM

I do wish you luck, but so future readers of this post know, using silicone is NOT a correct way to do all this.

If in doubt, you can always go over to YouTube - Broadcast Yourself. and type in toilet flush valve installation or toilet tank installation and check to see how they do it in the video!~

Here is one example:

Hope all works out for you... ;)

Mark

Feb 15, 2011, 09:33 AM
    Thx again Mark! Did check out You Tube before attempting to replace the flush valve. Glad to report that my toilet has stopped leaking so whatever I did fixed the problem! :)

BTW, when I re-visited Fluidmaster's website (brand of the flush valve that I used), I realized belatedly that they actually had a Help section where I can search for possible solutions that will help troubleshoot my problems. And for the leaks I had, it did say for me to retry locking the nut again "and if the leak persists use a Silicone sealant on the underside of the rubber washer to stop the leak. DO NOT USE PLUMBER'S PUTTY."

Thought I'd share this resource to help out others who might be in a similar situation. They even have a help line 1-800-631-2011 and have a Technical Advisor from M-F 6:00am to 4:30pm. To access from www.fluidmaster.com Click HELP - CLICK HERE to ask your own question -- and it actually takes you here and type in your problem.

http://support.fluidmaster.com/ProfessorFlush/

Hope this helps others!

CJ
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 15, 2011, 01:12 PM

All good news/information!

Thanks for posting!

Mark

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet leaking when tank is correctly full, but. [ 14 Answers ]

The toilet tank is leaking a slow drip of water into the toilet bowl. About 2 weeks ago I attempted this repair and sought help on this site. I've tried all the advice that weekend (got tired of it and locked the room for 2 weeks) and finally decided to try again today. Please help!! I've...

Rusted bolt assembly toilet tank [ 4 Answers ]

I can not remove the bolts connecting my tank to the toilet bowl because the nuts are rusted to the bolts... I thought of cutting the top off the bolt but its pretty flat headed and too tight of an area to fit conventional grinder into... help... :(

Toilet leaking from tank to bowl! [ 5 Answers ]

I replaced stopper (flapper) but the toilet is still leaking. How do I fix this?:eek:

Leaking toilet tank [ 1 Answers ]

The tank of my one piece commode loses water slowly. It's not leaking onto floor. I have replaced the flapper & examined & cleaned the flush valve seat. It does not appear to be pitted or cracked. Any suggestions?

Leaking toilet tank [ 3 Answers ]

How to fix a hairline crack in a toilet tank

View more questions Search