Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    patljacobson12 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 3, 2010, 02:26 PM
    California no will does a half niece receive the same as a niece
    My aunt passed with no will. She had no kids and husband is decede. Her brother (my dad) is the only sibling alive. He has 4 kids. My Aunt & Dad's half sister (who is deceded) has 3 kids. How will her assets be divided? She has about $100,000 in cash, should he go through the courts to be appointed administrator of her estate?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jun 3, 2010, 02:44 PM

First, your Dad should indeed be appointed administrator by the probate court. As her only remaining sibling, he is her closest living relative and so this should be straight-forward.

As for who gets what - there is one living sibling (your dad) and one deceased (the half-sister). I believe her estate will be divided in half - one half to your dad and one half to the half-sister's children per stirpes (i.e. each of her three children get 1/6). Here's is a chart that explains it: Intestacy Chart Note that the since your aunt had no spouse nor children, the order or precedence is:

1. To decedent's parents equally; - since they are not surviving, we skip this.
    2. To the issue of parents or either of them, equally if all of the same degree of kinship; I highlighted the part that makes the half-sister an equal inheritor to your father. Since she is dead, her share is split among her three children.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is my niece OK? [ 11 Answers ]

My niece to me the other day and she said that a week before her period she had some light bleeding for about 3 or 4 days (her norm. period is a week long like mine and her mothers). She came to me again today and said that she didn't start her period and that she had some light cramping, loss of...

Niece [ 4 Answers ]

I would like to ask a question and not sure how to use this. I have niece who I fill is in a unstable home I have spoke with an attorney and I have been told I need more info to prove unfit . This child has been abused earlier in the relationship with her mother since she was an infant and my...

My niece wants to live with me [ 1 Answers ]

My nieces father said he would sign custody over to me. Does that mean that he won't have a say in anything I do with her or for her?

Trying to do what is best for my niece [ 8 Answers ]

Here is the situation. I have a niece (brother's daughter) who will be 6 in April, she is a very bright little girl. Neither of her parents have really been in her life unless it did something to benefit them. I was 15 years old when she was born and for the first year and a half of her life took...

Trying to do what is best for my niece [ 3 Answers ]

Here is the situation. I have a niece (brother's daughter) who will be 6 in April, she is a very bright little girl. Neither of her parents have really been in her life unless it did something to benefit them. I was 15 years old when she was born and for the first year and a half of her life took...

View more questions Search