Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    orange Posts: 1,364, Reputation: 197
    Ultra Member

Feb 10, 2006, 04:37 PM
    Bannock
    I live in a northern area of Canada, and we eat a lot of bannock and love it. However, whenever I mention bannock to people in other areas, unless they're originally from around here, they don't seem to know what it is! So I guess I'm just wondering, as a fun question, if bannock is eaten anywhere else besides Canada / northern Canada.
    nwsflash Posts: 530, Reputation: 73

Feb 10, 2006, 04:49 PM
    If I'm correct Orange a Bannock is from Scotland! The one's you have in Canada are they barley, wheat or oatmeal, like a large round cake?? I've had one's in Scotland lol if I'm correct.
    Ultra Member

Feb 10, 2006, 04:53 PM
    Oh that's interesting... actually this bannock that I'm talking about is also a kind of bread, but it's a traditional food of the aboriginal people here (Cree and Dene). It would be interesting to find out though, if they originally got it from the Scots, haha!

http://www.twobay.com/bannock.htm
    Ultra Member

Feb 10, 2006, 04:59 PM
    Hey nwsflash you're right! I found this at a site about bannock:

"Britons have baked bannock at least since the time of the Druids (who avoided bad luck by never kneading the dough ounterclockwise). Brought to North America by early settlers, it soon became a staple for First Nations peoples across the continent. And everyone makes it with what they have at hand; ingredients include cornmeal, flour, rolled oats and wheat bran, lard or shortening, eggs, blueberries, molasses or sunflowers."
    From Canadian Living

Cool, I learned something new about bannock, haha! I'll have to visit Scotland and see if they make it the same way! :)

Feb 10, 2006, 05:00 PM
    Do yours look like this --- >>

Ultra Member

Feb 10, 2006, 05:02 PM
    Pretty close to that, yeah! Although it can vary in shape.

Mmmmm... bannock. Maybe I am part Scottish, since I love it so much. How cool is that??

So do Scots also eat Elk and Moose sausage? :D

Feb 10, 2006, 05:08 PM
    Cool, I learned something new about bannock, haha! I'll have to visit Scotland and see if they make it the same way!
    LoL Scotland is a great place to visit... I'm sure you would have a great time! Do you like whisky that's a sure answer if your Scot or not pmpl... I have family in Canada I know that there where a lot of people that moved there from Scotland and Ireland as well as France and the Dutch... Thats why from when I have been to Canada its such a great place because there is a little of everything.
    Ultra Member

Feb 10, 2006, 05:12 PM
    Oh cool... what parts of Canada have you been to?

I've always liked Scotland, from pictures and movies, and always wanted to visit.

Feb 10, 2006, 05:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by orange
    Oh cool... what parts of Canada have you been to?

I've always liked Scotland, from pictures and movies, and always wanted to visit.
    My family live in BC Vancouver, I love to get there as often as I can :) I've also been to Halifax and a very cold winter was spent in Nova Scotia which I think means New Scotland our something like that:D

You would be more than welcome in Scotland any time, you just may find it hard to understand what is being said depends on which part you visit... But I noticed that some people in Canada speak like there Irish or Scot, and some near USA speak Yankie.
    Ultra Member

Feb 10, 2006, 05:29 PM
    I'm between Vancouver and Halifax... although much closer to Vancouver. I'm in northern Saskatchewan, about a days' drive from Calgary, Alberta. I don't think people here talk like brits OR yanks, haha. We talk like we're from Saskatchewan, LOL. I guess there is a definite accent, so I'm told, but it's hard to describe. A bit like the stereotypical "Canadian, eh?" accent, but not exactly. If you'd ever seen the comedy show Corner Gas (filmed in Saskatchewan!) you'd know, but I think it's only shown in Canada.

Feb 10, 2006, 05:34 PM
    Corner Gas?? I don't think that has made it out of Canada yet.

I love the canadian saying Eh ?? That can mean so many thing pmpl! I love the Canuck from Vancouver, I became a massive fan last time I was in BC.

But you must come and try a bannock from Scotland one of the days, I'm sure you will love the taste. They are great to eat...

Also a new history fact not proven 100% at present but there is a study saying that "Gospel Music" comes from Scotland too... Just fort I'd add that eh.
    Ultra Member

Feb 10, 2006, 05:44 PM
    Oh that's interesting about Gospel music... I always thought it was from the American deep south. Another thing I love about Scotland is the shortbread!! And the Mackintosh toffee. At least it's called that here. Yum!
    And of course Nessie. I love monsters of all kinds. Oooh, and the Shetland Islands and Shetland ponies, and tartans, and Bagpipes! And wasn't that band The Pretenders from Scotland? :)

But not haggis, that sounds disgusting, LOL!

Corner Gas is a pretty cool show. It's very popular all over Canada. We're pretty proud of it here, because it's I believe the first really major TV show to come out of Saskatchewan. Here's the official website if you're ever interested:

http://www.cornergas.com/

I also love Vancouver and Vancouver Island, too! The accent in BC is not much different from here I don't think.
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Feb 10, 2006, 06:44 PM
    Really? Corner Gas is filmed in SK? I didn't know that.

Do you ever take a trip to AB to go shopping (as they are sales tax free... see the benefits of having oil, lol).

BC Residents who live on the BC-Alberta border, are crossing into AB to go shopping at Costco there (b/c of the no sales tax) and the BC Govt is upset over this, and has been suing Costco to get the names of all its BC members who have bought something at its AB stores. This way, they can tax them!

I heard that story on the news the other day. (well a couple weeks ago)
    Ultra Member

Feb 10, 2006, 07:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainForest
    really? Corner Gas is filmed in SK? I didn't know that.
    Yup! The town known as "Dog River", that you see in the show is actually the town of Rouleau, Saskatchewan, which is close to Regina. The actual Corner Gas set is just outside of the town. It's a big tourist trap since the show began. During the spring and summer (when the show is filmed) there are tour buses from Regina to Rouleau, and Corner Gas fans can see the gas station, the town itself and all the buildings featured in the show, and sometimes even meet the cast, if they're filming on the day of the tour.

Do you ever take a trip to AB to go shopping (as they are sales tax free... see the benefits of having oil, lol).
    Yeah I go to Calgary quite often. Edmonton is actually closer to me, but I prefer Calgary overall. We go there for shopping yes, but especially for IKEA.. LOL. There is no IKEA in Saskatchewan, apparently because the population of the province is too small.

BC Residents who live on the BC-Alberta border, are crossing into AB to go shopping at Costco there (b/c of the no sales tax) and the BC Govt is upset over this, and has been suing Costco to get the names of all its BC members who have bought something at its AB stores. This way, they can tax them!
    That's stupid. Is it even legal?
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Feb 10, 2006, 08:45 PM
    It is stupid. I don't think it is legal but then, it is BC we are talking about here...

SK is too small for an IKEA! Lol. I love IKEA. Lots of great, inexpensive stuff there.

Feb 11, 2006, 05:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by orange
    Another thing I love about Scotland is the shortbread !!! And the Mackintosh toffee. At least it's called that here. Yum!!
    And of course Nessie. I love monsters of all kinds.

But not haggis, that sounds disgusting, LOL!!
    Thanks for the link will keep a look out for that show... But Orange you have got to try Haggis it is great!! Warms you up in the winter LoL It sounds not very nice but it taste really good...

Nessie lol people still search to this day pmpl.:) is she real or a fake?? I don't think the answer will ever be given.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Feb 11, 2006, 06:41 AM
    Hi,
    To answer your original question;
    No, didn't know anything about bannock. But, it's very interesting. I live in VA in the United States, also have lived in Florida, but never heard of it.
    From the recipe given, it sounds something like "French toast", and the picture is great.
    Ultra Member

Feb 11, 2006, 12:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by nwsflash
    Thanks for the link will keep a look out for that show....But Orange you have got to try Haggis it is great !!! Warms you up in the winter LoL It sounds not very nice but it taste really good...

Nessie lol people still search to this day pmpl.:) is she real or a fake ??? I don't think the answer will ever be given.
    Hmmm... well, you are "warming me up" to try haggis, haha. I wonder if Saskatchewan haggis compares? See in Canada (all over Canada I believe), we have these festivals of different heritages... in Winnipeg it's called Folklarama, and in Saskatoon (the one I visit usually) it's called Folkfest. All the different nationalities of the area have "pavilions" where they offer music, dancing, clothing, food and lots of souvenirs pertaining to the particular country they come from. The pavilions are held over 2-3 days in school gyms, church basements, anywhere they can basically, all over the city. Special buses take you from one pavilion to the other. Last year I visited the Polish, Ukrainian, Norweigan, Scottish, Phillipino, Chinese, Mexican, Israeli, and French pavilions... to name just a few. It's great fun! Anyway my point in all this is that they serve haggis at the Scottish pavilion. I've never wanted to try it though haha.

And regarding Nessie, Canada actually has an illusive sea monster too. It's called the Ogopogo and it apparently lives in Okanagan Lake in the interior of British Columbia. There's also one here in Saskatchewan! It's called The Turtle Lake Monster, which of course lives in Turtle Lake, fairly close to where I live actually, haha. :)
    Ultra Member

Feb 11, 2006, 12:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by fredg
    Hi,
    To answer your original question;
    No, didn't know anything about bannock. But, it's very interesting. I live in VA in the United States, also have lived in Florida, but never heard of it.
    From the recipe given, it sounds something like "French toast", and the picture is great.
    Thanks Fred! I love French Toast, haha, but bannock is different, at least my bannock is. It's more like a scone, if you know what that is? It's not as sweet and light as French Toast. Hey speaking of French, do have poutine in Virginia? Mmmmm... poutine, haha. If you don't, it's French fries with cheese curds and gravy. Very popular here!

Actually it's really interesting... since I started this thread and Nwsflash pointed out the Scottish element, I've done some research online, and bannock is classified as a primitive fried bread. And from what I've read, all the indigenous and primitive peoples of the world have their own version of this fried bread! Even in Scotland, bannock goes back to way before the birth of Christ, when the Scots were considered primitive people themselves!

Feb 11, 2006, 03:02 PM
    French fries with cheese curds and gravy
    OMG please stop your making me want some now LoL
    The first time I tried that was in New York at Coney Island plus I had some real soul food... hummmm makes me hungry still...

Ogopogo Its funny I was watching a program about this on Disc channel just before Christmas, maybe it spends summer in Scotland and Winter in Canada? Ha ha could be a double that's why you can't find it at either places.
    I love IKEA. Lots of great, inexpensive stuff there
    Captain I live down the road from a mega IKEA it drives me crazy because I'm dragged round there every bank holiday... I do not see the fun in buying things to put together yourself, but hell that's just me. I didn't know that they had IKEA in Canada, must plan to keep my other half away next time we are over... Its bad enuff been dragged around the large malls pmpl.

bannock goes back to way before the birth of Christ
    My take on this would be because most country used to bake flat bread that didn't have the yest and stuff as modern bread does today... Orange you gave me an idear I'm going to try a few different ways of making Bannock in my bread maker!! See if there is much diffrence across the globe.

Orange if you get faggots in Canada this taste's very much like Haggis with lots of onion gravy -- If you can eat Faggots you can eat haggis lol.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

View more questions Search