Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    prairie son Posts: 40, Reputation: 2

Sep 3, 2007, 04:29 PM
    1999 Chevy Lumina; spark plugs
    Re; changing plugs on Chevy Lumina 6 cylinder transverse engine

The service manual says engine must be rotated forward to access rear 3 plugs. I have been told that this is not necessary. Is there a special plug wrench attachment to reach the rear plugs? Is it true that to rotate the engine one just needs to remove front engine supports and then use a pry bar to pull engine away from firewall?
    Appreciate your help,
    Prairie Son:confused: :confused:
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Sep 4, 2007, 04:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by prairie son
    Re; changing plugs on Chevy Lumina 6 cylinder transverse engine

The service manual says engine must be rotated forward to access rear 3 plugs. I have been told that this is not necessary. Is there a special plug wrench attachment to reach the rear plugs? Is it true that to rotate the engine one just needs to remove front engine supports and then use a pry bar to pull engine away from firewall?
    Appreciate your help,
    Prairie Son:confused: :confused:
    The rear plugs can be accessed without rotating, or "rolling", the engine. It is very tight! The problem is adapting the extensions with swivels to get down in there and still have leverage and not drop a socket. You'll be working blind.
    There is a special tool that is fitted in place of the upper engine strut mount that is designed to move and hold securely the engine while you work on it.

erakus Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 10, 2012, 06:37 PM
    Do you need to loosen up or remove any engine mounts on the 1999 3.1 motor? I noticed a mount near the serpintine on the passenger side, that need removed?
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Sep 11, 2012, 05:48 AM
    TRICK: Remove the top front engine mounts and rock the car forwards and backwards. On a strong forward rock, quickly apply the parking brake. This should rotate the engine forward, lock it in position, and improve spark plug access. Be sure to use the same ACDelco spark plugs that originally came in the engine. If the coil packs are in the way, simply remove the four mounting bolts, pull the unit forward, and place it on top of the plenum.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Spark plugs chevy cavalier [ 2 Answers ]

What is involved in replacing spark plugs on a 98 chev cavalier? It has 90,000 mi and the "check engine" and "ets off" lights are on so I thought it would be a good place to start.

95 Chevy Lumina Minivan power windows [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 95 chevy lumina minivan, with power windows that are not working... the only fuse I could find is in the circuit panel underneath the glove box, I tried switching the fuse out but still no luck... anyone have any ideas ? Thanks in advance Eddie

Fuel pump for a 1991 chevy lumina [ 2 Answers ]

Why does my fuel pump continue to run after the ignition is shut off?

1996 Chevy Lumina ?'s [ 3 Answers ]

So let me start by saying this... I don't know anything about cars, this is why I'm here. I'm a single mom who doesn't want to be given the run around! Ive had my car for about 2 years and it seems about every 3-4 months my service engine soon light comes on and my car drives really rough and...

View more questions Search