Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    noocher Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 15, 2009, 07:25 PM
    Pull starter won't pull
    I have a yard machine 6.75 hp. I tried to start it and the pull string will not move out. I didn't want to try to force it out afraid to break it. What can I do to fix this please
    jorgen182 Posts: 8, Reputation: 0

Apr 15, 2009, 09:00 PM

If it is in gear it won't move. Some have gears some don't. It has to be in neutral. If it is in neutral, make sure it has plenty of gas. You can also prime the carb with a small amount of gas. Make sure it is well oiled. Other than that it may have to be taken apart.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 16, 2009, 10:13 AM

Yard machine what, mower, tiller, etc... Remove the spark plug and tell us if this makes any difference.
    noocher Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 19, 2009, 07:12 AM

OK that problem is fixed,but now when I try to start it it smokes very bad and then oil comes out of muffler.What would cause this
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Apr 19, 2009, 12:19 PM

Oil over filled. Mower on the side for a while.

First, do this:

Take out the plug.
    Put carb cleaner in the spark plug hole.
    Put a rag over top the hole.
    Crank until you get the muck out.

Re-install plug.

Check the oil level.

Check to make sure the air cleaner is free of oil as well.

Carb cleaner makes excellent starting fluid. Don't use starting fluid in a small engine. Use carb cleaner as starting fluid.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Snowblower won't start, made bad noise using electric, pull cord now hard to pull. [ 7 Answers ]

I tried to start my snowblower today and it wouldn't start. I decided to try the electric start, plugged it in, hit the start button and all it made was a spinny grinding noise. Unplugged it, and tried to start it manually with pull cord again. The cord would not pull without lots of effort and...

Briggs Recoil (pull) starter repair [ 4 Answers ]

Briggs Recoil (pull) starter repair My wood splitter has a Briggs gas engine, when I pull it and it starts I get a screech sound from the pull rope area. It did it a few different times after it started on other occasions. Today it screeched more often and I noticed the pull rope would come out...

Starter rope won't pull [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I am confused as to why my Briggs and Stratton lawnmower won't start. (yardman 6.5) I tried to start it this morning and the rope will not pull. I try as hard as I can, but there is no give coming from the mower. I looked underneath and it doesn't seem as if there is anything stuck in the...

Toro pull starter [ 2 Answers ]

Toro recycler pull start pulls almost all the way out before engageing the engine to start. How do I repair?

View more questions Search