Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lpennisi Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 29, 2006, 09:54 PM
    A home we sold
    During disclosures on a home we sold, the people that were purchasing our home asked about what was under the tile in one of the bathrooms, they were from a contracting background,
    He asked if it was “hardibacker” I wrote in a statement that I believed it might be hardibacker. After they purchased the home they tore up the bathroom tile and decided it was not hardibacker and asked us to give them a credit after purchase.

We sold the home “AS Is” Our realter did not do his job of asking them not to contact us. They decided to get an attorney and tell us we gave them fraudulent info. My wife and I are not contractors and did not know the material that was under the tile floor.

What do we do?
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Jan 29, 2006, 09:57 PM
    Why would you ever put it in writing that it might be hardibacker when you had no clue whatsoever?

How much are they suing for? Is it more or less than what a lawyer would charge you to defend this?

Can they win? Maybe, maybe not. But my advice would be to seek out a lawyer. But if they only want let's say $1,000, the perhaps it is cheaper to pay them off and not have to worry about the whole legal process.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 29, 2006, 09:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by lpennisi
    During disclosures on a home we sold, the people that were purchasing our home asked about what was under the tile in one of the bathrooms, they were from a contracting background,
    He asked if it was “hardibacker” I wrote in a statement that I believed it might be hardibacker. After they purchased the home they tore up the bathroom tile and decided it was not hardibacker and asked us to give them a credit after purchase.

We sold the home “AS Is” Our realter did not do his job of asking them not to contact us. They decided to get an attorney and tell us we gave them fraudulent info. My wife and I are not contractors and did not know the material that was under the tile floor.

What do we do?
    Hire an attorney, since it appears they are going to sue you for it. Since the house contract sold as is there should be no real problem winning, but they can still try and sue. Many times the attorney letter is a cheap way to try to scare you. If you hire an attorney to write them a letter back, it may end there.

Also the note did say "you believe it is" not that it was. But if you did not know you should have just said you were not sure.

It is a common, very common trick to find something wrong and try to get some money back. It has happened 2 out of three houses I have sold.

One I settled, since they settled for 600 which was cheaper than going to court
    lpennisi Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 29, 2006, 10:01 PM
    Unfortunately, they have a history of playing this game with other people they have purchased from they asked for 3,000 for a 4ft * 4ft area.
    We have sought legal guidance. Thank-you..

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sold Debt [ 1 Answers ]

If a company that I owed a debt to sells it to another company or collection agency does the Statute of Limitations start over? If the debt is sold and the new company puts it on my credit report will that stay on my report for another 7 years? Thanks for any imput.

Building sold and being tore down... [ 2 Answers ]

I am asking this question on my friend's behalf who does not have internet access. Whenever I get new info I will update the questions. In Feb. of 2006 my friend signed a year lease to end in feb of 2007. Last month the owners sold the aprtment building. The NEW owners have sent all tenents a...

Building sold eviction [ 2 Answers ]

Last week my apatment building was sold. The next day I was given a 30 day notice to move. What leverage do I have in getting moving costs or compensation to avoid an unlawful detainer. The building is located in Torrance Ca. thanks for your help

Do I pay tax on inherited property sold? [ 7 Answers ]

My brothers and I (4 of us) each inherited equal portions of my mother's house when she died. We sold the house shortly after the estate was settled and each of us received ~ 18,000 (there was no mortgage). Now, I am aware that any gain is taxed as long term no matter how long we owned it, since it...

View more questions Search