Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    confused_college_student Posts: 8, Reputation: 2

Feb 7, 2008, 07:31 PM
    Issue Price of a Bond?
    Donaldson Company issued $5,000 of 10-year bonds paying 10% annual interest. The current market rate of interest on comparable issues is 12%. What is the issue price of the bonds?

I think it is $5000, but I'm unsure. Can someone please help?
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Feb 10, 2008, 12:24 AM
    For the reason just stated in my answer to your other question, no. It's the present value of the bond, plus the present value of the interest payments.

This is a difficult one to explain in a forum of this type. Especially since you could be using charts, a financial calculator, equations, or Excel to figure this out. But you will need to calculate it, and you'll need to learn how to do it. (I see you have several questions and I haven't looked at them all, or the answers. So I might be saying something stupid here. :-))

I'll give you a list of steps, but it's too lengthy to explain each separate step. I'd suggest asking separate questions so that you can get it down step-by-step.

1. Figure out the actual interest payments based on the contract rate.
    2. Get the present value of the bond face value. (single payment)
    3. Get the present value of the interest payment you figured in (1). (annuity)
    4. Add 2 & 3 together.

For 2 & 3, how you do this depends on the method you're using. But you will need to use the market rate for this part. This is a common confusion. Use the contract rate to get the actual interest payment for step 1. But when you figure the present values, always use the market rate.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Selling price of a bond [ 3 Answers ]

On December 31, 2005, $210,000 of 11% bonds were issued. The market interest rate at the time of issuance was 12%. The bonds pay interest on June 30 and December 31 and mature in 20 years. Compute the selling price of a single $1,000 bond on December 31, 2005. Round all intermediate...

Issue Price of a Bond [ 1 Answers ]

The issue price of bonds is equal to a. the present value of the principal b. the present value of the interest c. the present value of the principal minus the present value of the interest d. the present value of the principal plus the present value of the interest I think the answer is...

View more questions Search