Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jbscott Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 5, 2010, 04:38 PM
    Can someone garnish my wages if I tried to pay the debt I owe in installments
    My husband was ordered to pay about $3000 for rent and late fees. He asked the judge if he had to pay it all at once, the judge said no, that it was up to he and the landlord to come up with payment arrangements. The next day he received a letter from the landlord stating they wanted the money in full. My husband responded with a letter stating how much he could pay per month to pay the debt off in a 12 month period. The landlord decline and told my husband that he was going to have his wages garnished. Is this possible in the state of Georgia?
    DownUnder Posts: 492, Reputation: 24

Feb 5, 2010, 05:57 PM

Are you saying the judge issued a judgement and told your husband and landlord to work out payments?
    If it was a judgement then yes he would be able to garnish your wages if your state allows
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 5, 2010, 06:34 PM

I would write a letter to the judge. If the landlord is refusing to accept a payment schedule that would pay if off the debt in one year, that seems unreasonable. The judge may step in.

But once a judgement is issued the landlord could garnish wages. Generally they can't take more than 25%, How does that compare with what your husband offered.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can a debt collector levie your account and garnish wages? I live in California. [ 2 Answers ]

The debt collector originally levied my bank account, and starting this year (2010) they are garnishing 25% of my wages. Is it legal for them to still levie my acounts?

Can Debt Collector Garnish Husband Wages For wife's Debt [ 3 Answers ]

Prior to even meeting my husband I inccured a credit card debt which I have since defaulted on. I just recently received a summons in response to this debt and am unable to pay the amount in full. Are they able to garnish my husbands check for a my debt as that I am a homemaker with no income?

I have personal debt, can the courts garnish wages from my cooperation legally ? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a unpaid credit card that was personal . The credit card company decided to garish both my cooperate account and my personal account. Is this legal or do they not have the right to touch the accounts since it is another entity ?

Can wages be garnished to pay unsecured credit card debt [ 2 Answers ]

I am six months behind in my credit card payments. I own nothing and have no saved money-due to unfortunate circumstances over the past year. I am being threatened by an attorney's office that I will be sued and my-poor, pitiful-wages will be garnished. Does any one know if this is true?

How much of a debt must you rack up before a collector can garnish wages? [ 3 Answers ]

I was dumb enough to sign up for a 2 year contract at a tanning salon. It's a long story, but to make the long story short they are trying to say I owe 2 more months then i actually do. For health reasons i did not even tan but a year of the contract and paid the other year. I REFUSE to even pay...

View more questions Search