Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    suggi1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 7, 2011, 12:34 PM
    Could this be a backup sump pump problem
    I have a sump pump and this year we have had over 90 inches of snow since Dec. which is now mwlting and we have been getting quite a bit of rain... question is wanted to get the backup sump pump that sits outside the pit and actually goes on not only if the electricity goes off but also if the primary pumop fails -- however it uses the same discharge pipe as the primary and if there is an overload of water and the primary pump can't keep up and the water goes above the backup pump float then I presume the backup pump will go on also and how could the discharge pipe handle 2 pumps pumping into it?? Wouldn't this make the situation even worse and really flood the basement?? I'm scared!!
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Mar 7, 2011, 04:35 PM

IF the discharge pipe is 1 1/2, it should handle two pumps discharging at the same time.
    suggi1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 7, 2011, 04:38 PM
    Thank you so much for your help.
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Mar 7, 2011, 11:15 PM

I have a 2'' pipe on my primary pump with a 3/4'' pipe tapped into it for back up pump. Been using it for 3 years. Works fine.

Chuck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Which backup sump pump should I get for my basement? [ 6 Answers ]

I'm trying to find a battery backup sump pump for my basement. I have a fairly shallow pit only about 17inches deep with stone under it preventing me from digging deeper. I have a high water table which causes my 1/2HP main pump to turn on often during heavy storms and the low depth of the pit...

Adding a backup sump pump [ 1 Answers ]

My sump pump runs regularly from February to May. I have a generator just in case the power goes out, but if I'm asleep or out of town when the power goes out, water damage is a possibility. I'm thinking of hooking up a battery backup sump pump. I want to run a separate discharge pipe for this...

Backup Water in Basement from Sump Pump [ 2 Answers ]

I had a house built 18 years ago over a wooded area along with 9 other homes in a culdasac. Each time we loose electricity, our basement floods within 2-4 hours. We have a sump pump and have burned up 3 pumps thus far. I believe it is possible a spring is under my home but not sure how I can...

Tieing in a backup sump pump to existing copper discharge pipe [ 3 Answers ]

Does anyone know if I can tie in a backup sump pump into an existing copper discharge pipe of 1.5 inches. The back up pump comes with a "y" connector made of PVC. How do I connect the PVC connector into the copper discharge pipe? Thanks.

Improper venting, backup from sump pump to vent pipe [ 2 Answers ]

Help! We moved into an old house, our plumbing vent is about 4 ft. from basement floor. Every time we use kitchen sink or bathtub, it backs up into vent pipe. Also, our sump pump backs up into vent. We have tried to snake it and also poured drain cleaner down every drain. I know the vent should be...

View more questions Search