Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Tammy9029 Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Mar 19, 2010, 06:57 PM
    Do Canadian emergency rooms do tooth extractions?
    I was wondering if anyone knows if emergency rooms do tooth extraction. I have no coverage and an abscessed tooth.
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Mar 19, 2010, 07:00 PM

Well if it is infected I would go to emergency to get it checked out. Then when your there they can direct you as to what to do with your problem.

If you have no coverage and there is a way of getting emergency coverage under certain programs you will need to check into that as well, because it is there for people who need it.

Mar 19, 2010, 07:17 PM
    I don't have coverage, and the only emergency coverage I've been able to find was for children 17 and under.
    Uber Member

Mar 19, 2010, 07:54 PM

Hello, did you go to the emergency room yet? Yes or no? They will be able to give you info there and maybe even help you out. You do not know until you go.
    Uber Member

Mar 19, 2010, 07:57 PM

How expensive do you think it is?
    flossie Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 181
    Ultra Member

Mar 20, 2010, 09:54 AM
    No, emergency rooms here do not do extractions, at least not here in Ontario but can definitely prescribe an antibiotic. There is usually a dentist on call but I'll give you a hint. It's always more expensive to have something done as an emergency. What province are you in? In Ontario, if you are on Ontario Works (Social Assistance) the kids 17 and under are covered for basic dental care and the parent (usually the mom) has emergency coverage. Are you sure you understand your coverage completely?

Mar 20, 2010, 03:11 PM

Maybe I should explain better I'm 19 and unemployed, I currently take care of my grandmother and do not qualify for OW. The dentist wanted 1533.39 for a root canal which they say I need, but obviously being unemployed I can't afford that. I checked everywhere for free dental clinics and ones for lower income families and haven't been able to find any in my area, I've only been able to find them 2 hours away in Toronto. The tooth has been infected more than 6 times since I first found out. I'm at a loss for what to do.
    Ultra Member

Mar 20, 2010, 04:37 PM
    Tammy, go to emergency and get an antibiotic NOW! You don't want that infection running through your body. They can also give you something for pain if you are experiencing pain.

If you are not working I don't understand why you don't qualify for OW. Is your grandmother paying you for looking after her?

Have you spoken to someone at Social Assistance? I just completed the following as if I were you (no income, no children/spouse, not paying for room and board) and it says you MAY qualify for OW.

Estimator - Questions

Unless there is something you are not telling me you definitely should get some assistance even if just for your dental problem.

What direction from Toronto are you? I am located about an hour west of Toronto. I might be able to find someone in your area that could get you some help.

Mar 20, 2010, 06:39 PM

I applied for ow but because my father lives in my grandmothers house as well they keep denying me OW. Im south west from Toronto In Cambridge.
    Ultra Member

Mar 20, 2010, 06:54 PM
    You are in Cambridge?? That's where I am!

Are you in pain or is there any swelling? If there is, get an antibiotic. You don't want that poison running through your body. It can cause all kinds of health problems. I will will send you a private message and maybe we can arrange that you come in to my office so I can assess the situation and give you advice once I've seen what is going on.

Mar 20, 2010, 07:11 PM

I'm in pain and have been since Oct when I found out I needed a root cannal. Yes I'm in Cambridge

Mar 20, 2010, 07:20 PM

I don't know how to set up private messages sorry
    Ultra Member

Mar 20, 2010, 07:27 PM
    OK... I've sent you an email

Mar 20, 2010, 07:30 PM

I tried emailing you and got a failure to deliver notice
    Ultra Member

Mar 20, 2010, 07:33 PM
    Did you try as a reply from the email I sent you?

Mar 20, 2010, 07:36 PM

I did it should have gone through now
    Ultra Member

Mar 20, 2010, 07:49 PM
    Thanks for emailing me Tammy!
    ThriftyByNature Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 1, 2012, 03:40 PM
    Have you done anything yet"? My boyfriend has really bad teeth (almost all of them are falling apart) but we can't afford to do anything about it
    emile30 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 15, 2013, 12:28 AM
    This is the first link I found much like tammy, I am expirencing the same problem. I have my two molars that are chiped or almost all broken. And my far back left tooth has next to nothing left of it. I haven't been able to sleep for days because the pain has flared up because its pushing frontwards onto my other teeth. I however am on Ontario works and they have told me to contract the dental ( aspect of OW to see if they would cover me ) I did as they ask when this problem first became and issue like 6mths ago, and they never got back to me as they said it wasn't serious. The pain keeps getting worst and every month I am finding myself having to see a dr to get antibiotics. I have been taking anti inflamatories, and rinsing with warm salt water and sometimes it helps. I've tried clove oil other times. But this is getting ridiculous as the pain is very intense from my general understanding the tooth needs to be extracted or a root canal. Unfortunitly I've been to a ( school of dentistry in toronto ) and I cannot have general anystetic as I will vomite anytime I have my own hands or othing in my mouth I immidiatly want to vomite and they told me I would need to be put Under. ) what do I do what are my choices?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dull tooth pain with biting down or when tap side of tooth with fingernail [ 3 Answers ]

PLEASE HELP! I'm trying to get pregnant and want my teeth better soon. Tooth #19 (bottom left molar) had a root canal about 8 months ago. I had a permanent filling in it until recently when my insurance would cover a crown. (tooth had no cracks and had a narrow root canals so OK to wait) I had no...

Ask a question about your bad gums after extractions [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am a senior female late 50s. I had bad teeth for some years, had a lot of pain. I recently had all my teeth out, and have not been able to wear dentures because my gums are still sore. I have some lumps on my gums and swelling. It has been 2 to 3 months since all my teeth were removated....

Pull adult tooth down just lost baby tooth [ 3 Answers ]

I'm 40 and just had one of my last 2 baby teeth fall out. They are both the 2nd from the middle 2 teeth. Six months ago the dentist shared they he would need to pull it out and then pull down the other tooth. He estimated that being about $8k. Is that true? I have another baby tooth on the...

ITIN for dependent canadian born son and wife (canadian citizen) [ 3 Answers ]

I have filed W7 for my wife and son with my Federal tax return by going to a TAC in atlanta area. They indicated that since it is a peak season, will take 6-8 weeks to get the ITIN. How do I file my states return? Reading from the replies of tax experts here, I understood that for most states I...

Concerns about Tooth Extractions [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, My orthodontist recently informed me that I am going to need a good few tooth extractions in order for them to progress with my treatment. This, for me, is a complete and utter nightmare. I have an intense fear of teeth falling out/being pulled out - and because of my impending situation,...

View more questions Search