Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dbek Posts: 74, Reputation: 4

Nov 17, 2006, 05:33 PM
    Does a person who gave up their rights have any legal right to my child?
    We adopted a child about 3 years ago and she was almost 5 yrs old. But the father who gave up his rights and let us adopt her is demanding visitation and said he is going to take us to court and try to get visitation. We use to allow him to see her but he isn't psychologically stable and it's not in the best interest of the child. He always said he has grandfather rights since he was the grandfather, but he adopted her when she was 2 months old because his granddaughter didn't take care of the child. I just wish he would leave us alone. We've tried moving and getting anlisted phone #. But because of circumstances beyond my control he found us and has started it back up. Please any advice I would appreciate. Thank You!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 17, 2006, 05:59 PM
    Ok, a grandfather, adopted his grandchild, then gave the child up for adoption??

So tell him to take it to court, ( first I bet he won't) and if he signed over all rights, that means he has no rights.

I would brief your attorney that did the adoption that it may happen. Also if he keeps coming over and causing a problem, get a restraining order against him.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Nov 17, 2006, 06:06 PM
    This is a duplicate post. Please read here.

Nov 17, 2006, 06:28 PM
    Yes, sorry I don't know how to take one of them off. I tried to edit the question so people understand it more. I'm new to this and not sure how it works.

Quote Originally Posted by J_9
    This is a duplicate post. Please read here.
    Expert

Nov 17, 2006, 06:30 PM
    That is okay. It is just easier to post your question once and, it may take some time, but you will get some responses.

Nov 17, 2006, 06:35 PM
    I didn't know it went on twice, and I don't know how to take it off. I tried and couldn't figure out how to take the one off.
    Expert

Nov 17, 2006, 06:36 PM
    Not to worry, the Moderators will most likely merge the two together. No big deal.

Nov 17, 2006, 06:41 PM
    OK, thank you! Guess my mind was elsewhere.
    RichardBondMan Posts: 832, Reputation: 66

Nov 17, 2006, 07:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by dbek
    We adopted a child about 3 years ago and she was almost 5 yrs old. But the father who gave up his rights and let us adopt her is demanding visitation and said he is going to take us to court and try to get visitation. We use to allow him to see her but he isn't psychologically stable and it's not in the best interest of the child. He alway said he has grandfather rights since he was the grandfather, but he adopted her when she was 2 months old because his granddaughter didn't take care of the child. I just wish he would leave us alone. We've tried moving and getting anlisted phone #. But because of circumstances beyond my control he found us and has started it back up. Please any advice I would appreciate. Thank You!
    I doubt any Judge, Court or Jury would give visitation rights to anyone who like you said "gave up his rights" - (hey you just answered your question!! ) and who now has no rights in reference to the child especially considering his mental instability. Like a prior answer, I would run it by the attorney who did the adopton for your current spouse just in case.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Who has the legal rights to parents ashes? [ 5 Answers ]

I have a question requarding my fathers ashes. In 1999 my father passed away, At the time of his death he was not married. He had a live in girl friend of 12 years. I don't know if Philadelphia is a common law state or not. My dad had three daughters. Two from his first marriage and one from his...

Bio father rights/abandonment of child/child support? [ 6 Answers ]

I am 6 weeks pregnant and the father is my ex boyfriend. I reached out to him 3 different times to see how he felt about this and what his interest would be in terms of involvement with his child. He has been quite verbally hostile and told me to die and other choice things. What time frame...

Legal rights/paternity [ 4 Answers ]

I found out I have a two y/o son recently. Mother says she got pregnant purposely to have sibling for older brother. She agreed to let me see him which I have regularly since I found out. I also established paternity through a blood test. Problem is, I want to see child more than mother wants me...

Legal age to leave child overnight? [ 1 Answers ]

What is the legal age a mature child can be left alone if his fathers adult cousin lives across the street and his mother lives at the end of the block in Forestville Calif?:rolleyes:

Estate claims on a father who gave up parental rights. [ 5 Answers ]

My father gave up parental rights when I was a small child. As a teenager I relocated him and we started a relationship that continued for the next 20 years. He recently passed away with no will. Did his signing his rights away also void any chance of my having a claim to part of his estate?

View more questions Search