Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    newbegining Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 6, 2011, 07:30 PM
    Custody change for teen / child support / Moms moving out of state
    The ex is moving out of state and our 16 yr old is going to live me, she does not want to change custody and wants to "send" back my child support and pay me an amount of which we can agree upon.
    Should I demand in custody?
    If so could I win just because he wants to live here and not move across the country?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 6, 2011, 07:50 PM
    At 16 most courts will listen seriously to what the child wants, unless there are other factors.

Legally yes you need to go to court and change custody, this needs to be done and can be done easily, you both agree to all the terms, have them written out and submitted. No need to his lawyer and her lawyer, if you both agree.

There is no reason for her to "send the support back" since legally you will still owe it unless you go to court. The issue I see, is that they had no issue with the court ordering you to pay, but they don't want to be treated the same way.

Sep 6, 2011, 07:55 PM
    "is that they had no issue with the court ordering you to pay, but they don't want to be treated the same way"
    You are 100% correct!
    I'm afraid that she is not willing to change custody even though she's moving in a month.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 6, 2011, 08:42 PM
    Next of course she can't just move if your custody agreement does not allow her to without your approval or court approval.
    Or you can even file a motion to stop her from moving, since it would hurt your visitation rights.

Next custody will not be changed in a month, if you went to an attorney yesterday.

You need an attorney, since actually the ball is in your court, she wants to move, you could actually stop her from moving or force her to give you custody if she moved.

Next what she pays in child support may be set also by state law, ** I assume like yours was** so her income will have a bearing on it.

It is time for you to head to the attorney if you want custody of your child and they want to stay with you.

Sep 6, 2011, 09:13 PM
    As of this moment, She is moving, My son is staying with me. She is all of a sudden nice as she is getting a huge raise and wants to keep it out of the courts.
    Im just not sure how the law looks at her moving without my son, is she "giving" up custody? She has already talked to her lawyer which I believe is telling her it would be in her best interest to not go back to court.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 7, 2011, 03:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by newbegining View Post
    Im just not sure how the law looks at her moving without my son, is she "giving" up custody?
    Her lawyer is giving her good advice, but its not up to her. Assuming there is a court ordered visitation schedule that you would not be able to adhere to if she moves with your son, then she has NO chance in court. Coupled this with the fact that your son wants to stay with you, then she hasn't a leg to stand on.

The question is whether YOU want her to pay you support. If you don't, then it's a simple matter. You negotiate an agreement where she cedes primary custody to you and gives up support. In return you offer her visitation (at her expense). You then take this agreement to court and the judge will ratify with no questions asked. But if you want her to pay you support, it gets stickier as she may try to fight it. On what grounds I haven't a clue. But you NEED to get a court to modify custody and support.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Does custody change child support amounts? [ 1 Answers ]

Does having partial custody lower child support amounts? Would my husband as the father be able to fight for 50% custody and win it even though he hasn't been in the boys life for the first year of his life?

Change of custody of minor child while on probation in another state [ 1 Answers ]

My 14 year old step daughter is on probation in Missouri. Her mother emailed me telling me we need to come get her before she ends up in jail. She is on probation. We live in another state. How would we go about transferring her probation?

Custody of unborn child moving out of state. Where & when should I divorce the dad? [ 2 Answers ]

I am 4 months pregnant. When I am 8 months pregnant I plan to move to Ohio for financial reasons and to have the baby. I have family in Ohio. I have no one in Arizona. My husband is an alcoholic and marijuana user. He has just gotten another DUI and is driving with a revoked license. I want...

Moving with my child out of state with no custody order. [ 6 Answers ]

Hello I was wondering if anyone could tell me if I I could take my daughter to Washington considering me and her father have no custody order or visitation.. Is there anything he can do in stopping me if I just bring her with me?

Child custody - moving to another state [ 1 Answers ]

My daughter is 15 and she and her mother are moving to another state. She has never lived with me and I saw her only 4 hours a week. Do I have legal recourse to have her spend extended time with me? Can I prevent the move? At 15, 16 in May 2007, does she have the right to decide>

View more questions Search