Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    stormey44 Posts: 380, Reputation: 3

Dec 11, 2007, 02:16 PM
    Ultrasound ?s
    Hi I am 16 weeks pregnant with my third child and they did an ultrasound but to early to find out what it is now I don't go to the docs until I'm 20 weeks but I really want to know are they any way to tell I got 2 boys so if this is a girl I need to get prepared for it what should I do??
    macksmom Posts: 1,787, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Dec 11, 2007, 03:38 PM
    Check in your area for a private ultrasound office.

My older sister found one close to where she lives. She was able to go in there at about 12-14 weeks and found out she was having a girl.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Dec 11, 2007, 03:47 PM
    It all also depends on your insurance. Your insurance may not cover another ultrasound before 20 weeks. 4 weeks is not too long to wait, since you still have 24 weeks to go.
    Ultra Member

Dec 11, 2007, 04:19 PM
    J9 is right, your doctors office won't do more ultrasounds than medically necessary because your insurance will only cover "x" amount.

But if you could find a private ultrasound office in your area, they would do one for you whenever you want (they don't do insurance, just pay for services). I think my sister's cost like $125 or somewhere around there.

Dec 12, 2007, 06:23 AM
    OK how would I find one?
    Ultra Member

Dec 12, 2007, 06:25 AM
    You could Google "ultrasound office (your area)" and see if anything pulls up, or you could just look in the phone book.

Dec 12, 2007, 06:26 AM
    OK thank u
    Ultra Member

Dec 12, 2007, 06:27 AM
    No problem :) good luck!

Dec 12, 2007, 06:06 PM
    Thank you I look today and can not find one I live in Ohio and I can't find any
    Ultra Member

Dec 12, 2007, 06:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by stormey44
    thank u i look today and can not find one i live in ohio and i can't find any
    If you want to PM me and let me know where you live in Ohio. I live in Ohio to, as does my sister (who found the office).

I could get the info from her.
    Expert

Dec 12, 2007, 06:10 PM
    Also, you can ask your doctor if he/she will do it and bill you rather than your insurance.
    Ultra Member

Dec 12, 2007, 06:18 PM
    I found this... I think this is where my sister went but I will check with her to make sure.

First Expressions - Specializing in 3D and 4D Prenatal Imaging.
    Ultra Member

Dec 12, 2007, 06:20 PM
    Sorry to keep posting haha but I keep finding more sites.

It really depends where you are located in Columbus.

Try googling this:

"3D ultrasound office (your city, Ohio)"

Dec 16, 2007, 03:47 PM
    Thank you I found one now how long do you think I should be before I go? And it be the most accurate?
    Expert

Dec 16, 2007, 05:04 PM
    18 - 20 weeks is actually the earliest that the sex of the baby can be determined. And at 18 weeks it still may be too early. Your best bet is to wait until your doctor's appointment at 20 weeks. Remember you will still have another 20 weeks to prepare.
    Ultra Member

Dec 16, 2007, 07:55 PM
    My sister found out she was having a girl when she was about 15 weeks pregnant.

But the earlier you try and find out (before 18-20 weeks) the more room for possible error.
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Dec 16, 2007, 07:57 PM
    Why not wait until the 20 week scan? Curious about what the urgency is?
    Expert

Dec 16, 2007, 08:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by macksmom
    My sister found out she was having a girl when she was about 15 weeks pregnant.
    That is actually a rarity. It rarely happens that determination of sex is made before the 18th week.

there are only two scientific ways to determine gender. This can be determined by an ultrasound or amniocentesis. Even if you have had an ultrasound after 20 weeks, it is not 100% accurate in predicting the sex of the baby. Ultrasound technicians, nurses, and doctors can be wrong. Since an amniocentesis looks at the genetic make-up, gender can be determined this way. Normally an amniocentesis is not warranted unless there is a complication in the pregnancy.*
    25th Week of Pregnancy : American Pregnancy Association
    Ultra Member

Dec 16, 2007, 08:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9
    That is actually a rarity. It rarely happens that determination of sex is made before the 18th week.
    Oh I know! Lol, I told her she wouldn't be able to find out until her doctor did the ultrasound at 5 months.

But she did! I was shocked!

Dec 17, 2007, 09:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesushelper76
    Why not wait until the 20 week scan? Curious about what the urgency is?
    I go to the docs the at 20 weeks but they are not doing another ultrasound they did one at 15 weeks and they could not tell so they are not doing another one

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

4 1/2 weeks ultrasound [ 1 Answers ]

I will be about 4 1/2 weeks pregnant next week when I have my first US. Will they even be able to see a gestational sac?

Periods during Ultrasound [ 2 Answers ]

I have to get a pelvic and renal ultrasound. This currently is scheduled for the last day of my period. There usually isn't a lot of bleeding, but enough to keep a tampon in, or use a pad. Is this going to cause problems? Should I reschedule the ultrasounds?

21 week ultrasound [ 3 Answers ]

I went for my 21 week ultrasound yesterday. When we got to the part where she was going to tell us the gender, the baby was turned and legs crossed... She went on to say quote " there is a absent of penis and scrotum, so its a girl." My question is should I get trust that? I have had three girls...

Getting an ultrasound. [ 2 Answers ]

Is there a way that you can go some place just to get an u/s? I really like my doctor and I don't want to go behind his back, but he only does an u/s at 20weeks. I'm 12 weeks and there is a possibility I might be having twins and I would really like to know for sure. I don't know if I can go to an...

20 week ultrasound. [ 17 Answers ]

I went in for my lvl 2 u/s today and everything is looking great. The twins are weighing in at 10oz each. I've gained a total of 9lbs although I've lost two. We managed to find out the sexes today although they weren't as coperative as I had hoped for. It looks like we're having a boy(definately)...

View more questions Search