Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    marj29kuletz Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 25, 2010, 04:45 AM
    Problem solving involving linear function
    The cost of food for a school party is partly constant and partly depends on the number of students. For 95 students ,the cost 5,652.50 ,and for 44 students ,it is 3,272.50. Find the cost for 48 students .express the cost of food as a function of the number of students.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Aug 25, 2010, 06:18 AM

For linear equations the function is: y = mx+b, where y is the cost of the food, x is the number of students, m is the slope of the line and b is the y-axis intercept. You have been given two data points that sit on that line:

If you are given two data points that sit on the line, you can determine the function as follows:

1. First determine the value for m, the slope. Remember that slope is defined as "rise over run."

2. Determine b. Since the equation is y=mx + b, use the values of (y_1,x_1) in that equation and solve for b:

I'll give you an example so you can see how this works. Suppose:

Then:

hence:

Post back with what you get for an answer.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Promlem Solving involving Quadratic Equations [ 3 Answers ]

On a treadmill, Daisy walks a distance of 2km. She then doubles the speed of the treadmill and jogs for another 2km. If the total time spent on the treadmill was 1 hour, find the speeds at which she walks and jogs. Help?

Derivatives involving a trig function [ 2 Answers ]

What are the steps behind differentiating and simplifying the following: y = sin^3x In getting y' = 3sin^2xcosx why do we not get cos^2x?

Solving involving quadratic equations [ 4 Answers ]

The product of two odd integers is 63. Find the integers. Kindly answer it for me.. tnx..

Linear function [ 1 Answers ]

Because of an incredibly difficult test , a professor decides to rescale the scores so that the maximum possible is still 100 for a perfect paper, but the average is to be rescales to 75 , instead of it being left at 62. A. Find a linear Function that represents this scaling. ( the newly revised...

Solving linear systems [ 1 Answers ]

Question I have to spend exactly $1000 in 10 min on music CDs. Store sells new release for $10 And other CDs for $9 . I must buy exactly 104 CDs, no more , no less. How many of each type of CD I need to buy?? Thank u

View more questions Search