Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Tristan Blond Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 25, 2007, 10:32 AM
    How much power will my new A/C unit really consume?
    Hello,
    We just got a new a/c unit (outside condenser) with the following specs.

Cooling Capacity : 30000btu
    208/60
    Min. circuit amp: 16.2

Compressor:
    Rated Load Amps: 11.8
    Locked Running Amps: 73

Fan Motor:
    Full Load Amps:1.4

I'm trying to figure out how much power this unit will utilize. Need to budget :)
    I'm confused by the many Amps.
    I'd like to assume for now that it"ll run 24/7. Then I have worst case operating time and can adjust from there.
    First thing I 'd like to know is how many KW /per hour this thing would really consume.

Any help would be great!
    Thanks
    Tristan
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Nov 25, 2007, 11:01 AM
    It will not run 24/7. You will go bankrupt if it does. LOL

Convert AMPS to Watts:
    Watts = Voltage x Amps
    P = E x I
    Example: 19.1 AMPS multiplied by 120v = 2300 Watts

You have aprox 208 volts X aprox 13.2 amps (you do the math)

1000 watts is one KW
    Tristan Blond Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 26, 2007, 03:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Tristan Blond
    Hello,
    we just got a new a/c unit (outside condenser) with the following specs.

Cooling Capacity : 30000btu
    208/60
    Min. circuit amp: 16.2

Compressor:
    Rated Load Amps: 11.8
    Locked Running Amps: 73

Fan Motor:
    Full Load Amps:1.4

I'm trying to figure out how much power this unit will utilize. Need to budget :)
    I'm confused by the many Amps.
    I'd like to assume for now that it"ll run 24/7. Then I have worst case operating time and can adjust from there.
    First thing I 'd like to know is how many KW /per hour this thing would really consume.

Any help would be great!
    Thanks
    Tristan
    Thanks for the reply
    Do you have an estimate about the runtime? How many hours per day in summer months in the midwest with average 95 F ?

Thanks again
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Nov 26, 2007, 05:16 PM
    A properly sized unit might run 18 hours out of 24 but if you want to be real accurate research degree days in you area.
    chrger1970 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 7, 2012, 09:09 AM
    I did some math on what you wrote. My pool pump motor draws 19.6 amps at 120 volts. I use it for 3 hrs a day. According to my math( which god knows could be wrong:) It would cost me around $64 a day. Times that by 30 days and it would cost me $1900 a month just to run the pump. Please double check this for me and see if my math is wrong. Thanks.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jun 8, 2012, 11:55 AM
    Chrgr 1970-nice car but bad math. 20 amps X 120 volts =2400 watts. At.15 cents per KWH =.36 CENTS per hour X 3 hours =$1.08 per day or $32.40 per month.
    chrger1970 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 9, 2012, 05:30 AM
    Now that makes more sense. I was following a formula from another post, 19.6amps X 120volts divided by 1000 X 3hrs X 12(price per KWH) I was getting 84.672. Thanks for you response.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Difference between a Power Distribution Unit (PDU) and a Remote Power Panel (RPP) [ 1 Answers ]

Is there any difference between a Power Distribution Unit (PDU) and a Remote Power Panel (RPP) in context of data center? If yes, then what is it?. Thanks.

No power in therm unit [ 8 Answers ]

Hi, I need help fixing ac unit. I called the help desk for my Hunter thermostat and they had me try and start the fan using a metal paper clip. The problem before I did that was that it wasn't starting. There was power but it wasn't regulating the temp. Well in the process I cause a shortage...

Outside Unit sounds like it has power but not spinning [ 1 Answers ]

My A/c is running but not cooling. When checking, interior unit fan and thermostat are operational, outside unit blower is not running. You can hear the electric buzz of power trying to make the outside fan blow but no movement. Check the capacitor visually on interior unit and appears...

AC/Heating unit stopped running - No power [ 4 Answers ]

My Janitrol AC Heating unit stopped running suddenly. I can neither use the Cool nor Heat (if I switch to either on the thurmostat I hear nothing). The fan doesn't run either when switched to ON. I checked the cirtcuit braker for the AC/Heating using and it was in the ON position, but when I try...

Do fluorescent light consume extra power when turned on? [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I've been having an ongoing debate with several people for quite a few years now over whether the "fluorescent startup myth" is true or not. The legend is that although fluo's consume less power than incandescents while running, fluo's consume a lot of power when you first start them up -...

View more questions Search