Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jenniepepsi Posts: 4,042, Reputation: 533
    Ultra Member

Jan 4, 2011, 08:40 AM
    Friend told me I qualify but I guess I don't?
    So I was planning on NOT filing taxes, as I didn't work, other than odd babysitting jobs which I have no proof of anyway.

But my roommate says that even if I didn't work I still qualify for the child tax credit and other such low income, single mother credits and such.

But when I tried on turbo tax, it says I don't qualify for it.

So now I'm confused. Do I or do I not?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jan 4, 2011, 09:50 AM
    I believe that you are referring to the Earned Income Credit, which does require that you have some earned income.
    Ultra Member

Jan 4, 2011, 09:53 AM

OK so if I didn't make any income, no return right?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jan 4, 2011, 10:51 AM
    There's unearned and earned income. If you get unearned income from gov't benefits, you don't have to file (unless you made over a certain amount, which is is unlikely in your case).
    Next year consider a part time job, because it's possible get back more than was withheld.
    Ultra Member

Jan 4, 2011, 01:27 PM

I've been looking for a job since I got out of school in October. I'm even in a job program through the state. Still nothing :( grr. Lol. But I'm still trying
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 5, 2011, 03:27 PM
    HOW MUCH did you earn baby sitting? If it was over $600 for 2010, you can file Schedule C and possibly qualify for the Earned Income Credit.
    Ultra Member

Jan 5, 2011, 06:35 PM

No not even close lol. More like, 100 all together maybe?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 14, 2011, 12:27 PM
    Then you are correct; you do NOT qualify.

Maybe next year!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I told him I don't like him but I do now what should I do? [ 23 Answers ]

Threads were merged and edited. So there is this guy, I met him this year. We were talking on IM, and he told me I was the prettiest girl ever, and that he likes me. I told him no, a bunch of times because I never saw him like that kind of guy. He told me that he really likes me, but I told him...

My best friend just told me she fancied me [ 1 Answers ]

I have been best friends with this girl since we were at nursery. She felt like my sister and I was always comfortable around her. We had a sleepover with her and her sister and it was going great , we were having fun. She kept posting things on her twitter page saying that she loved someone and...

My Best Friend Has Told Me She Fancies Me [ 4 Answers ]

My best friend of about 6 months told me in march that she had had some sexual thoughts about me. We spoke about it lots and then put it down to her mum and dad not being totally loving towards her and me being her rock, me being there when she needs me. So it was sorted and put down to the fact...

I guess I'm falling in love with a boy who used to be my best friend [ 7 Answers ]

Hey , well Um so there's this boy , he's my best friend.. but we're only friends , and I kind of find out that I'm falling in love with him :'( I don't know , should I just stop thinking about him and stay friends because I don't know if he has the same feeling :'( I'm confused

I don't know where I went. Crazy I guess? [ 6 Answers ]

I'm only 21, I'm pretty, I've got a bubbly personality and I'm humble and love to love people.. then somethinig happened. About two weeks ago I started to feel depressed. I mean, I've suffered from depression before and came out of it, but this time its different. For example, last night I cried...

View more questions Search