Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mdcar21 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 5, 2006, 06:24 PM
    Thermostat installing problem
    Hi, I have removed my old dial thermostat and it had two wires connected to it red & yellow, a third wire, green was not connected but sticking out of the wall. I have just purchased a Honeywell 3200 programmable model and connected red to R and yellow to W.
    Nothing works... do I need to connect the green wire? Please help.

Thanks
    T-Top Posts: 1,871, Reputation: 100
    Ultra Member

Nov 5, 2006, 07:11 PM
    Two wires being used must be heat only unit. If it's a mobile home remove top door on unit. Should have a black switch on the left side. Turn it on if nothing happens check breakers.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 5, 2006, 08:13 PM
    R and W are the correct terminals for a red and white wire. It is possible the yellow wire is actually an aged white one. See the stickies at the beginning of H&C. Check the directions for the thermostat. It may need batteries or a connection to the opposite terminal of the transformer as the red wire for power. If so, you could reconnect the green for that function. The green is meant to be connected to the G terminal to provide a fan on option. The furnace may or may not be wired up to provide that.
    Airwren Posts: 15, Reputation: 2

Nov 7, 2006, 06:47 AM
    I didn't check the stat stats, but some programmables need a ground wire (c). An old thermostat uses r and w the 24v comes through the r and returns to the w to signal the furnace to come on, this does not provide power for the t stat read out. Hence you need to ensure that there is a third wire to the c on the furnace mated with the c on the thermostat. Check your wiring diagram. Or get a battery operated programmable they require no exterior power and just the r and w will do. Side note: not all manufacturers use c as ground wire check diagram

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Installing noma digital thermostat [ 4 Answers ]

Hi - I am having difficulty replacing my old thermostat with a Noma brand programmable thermostat. The old thermostat - an old manual mercury type - is connected to 5 wires labelled on the circuit board as G, R, Y, W, and 4. it looks very much like the model shown on this website: ...

Installing a Programmable Thermostat [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 10 year old Carrier thermostat and want to install a new programmable thermostat. The thermostat has 5 wires (red, yellow, green, blue and white). All of the programmable thermostats only instruct you on how to install with 3 or 4 wires. Does anyone have a suggestion on a...

Installing Honeywell RTH230B thermostat [ 1 Answers ]

I'm having trouble installing a Honeywell RTH230B thermostat. When I took off the old one, I properly labeled the colored wires and turned the electricity back on, but the furnace won't kick on. I checked to see what color wires are coming out of the furnace, and it's just two of them-- green and...

Installing a two wir thermostat [ 2 Answers ]

I am tryig to install a two wire thermostat in a mobile home. The wires are not marked. It is a manual 24 volt thermostat with markings G,Y,W,RH,B,O,RC with RH and RC already connected. It is a red and white wire going to the blower that connect red to red and white to green. Please HELP!:confused:

Problems installing a programmable thermostat [ 2 Answers ]

Hi there, Just got a Honeywell RTH230B programmable thermostat to replace the old one. I have a gas furnace. I uninstalled the old thermostat and found three wires: Red, connected to terminal marked "R" White, connected to terminal marked "W" Green, connected to terminal marked "B" I was a...

View more questions Search