Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NorPlan Posts: 425, Reputation: 3

Apr 9, 2014, 07:19 PM
    Could it Be WiFi / Gremlins in the Air?
    Just throwing this thought out there , don't know if it's even possible... There's been a lot of flack over the Rail Crossing in South Ottawa... The Flashing Light / WigWag and Barrier have continuously Malfunctioned... Unfortunately it took the Death of 6 people in a Bus colliding with a Via Train to make this Front Page News..

With WiFi, Radio Waves and all.. Could it be Possible when the Signal is tripped somehow , if you get where I'm going with this.. In the back of my mind I think of Garage Doors in the neighborhood opening on their own when someone else next door has Nuc'd something in their Microwave... Just Curious... Cheers
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Apr 9, 2014, 07:40 PM
    Highly unlikely... things like that for safety reasons don't use technology that can easily be interfered with... and for reliability tends to be fairly conservative and tried and true simple.

THe more complexity... the greater the risk of malfunction.

Stuff on railways is overbuilt and overly rugged... look at the railway bridges... designed to work decades with minimal maintenance.

Apr 9, 2014, 08:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    Highly unlikely... look at the railway bridges... designed to work decades with minimal maintenance.

Yes for for sure I know the Odds, those 2 Rail Crossings in the Southend Subdivision have been Malfunctioning for Years... It's been a real brain tesser for the Rail Techs tasked with Fixing the Problem Now...
    Uber Member

Apr 10, 2014, 05:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NorPlan View Post
    Yes for for sure I know the Odds, those 2 Rail Crossings in the Southend Subdivision have been Malfunctioning for Years... It's been a real brain tesser for the Rail Techs tasked with Fixing the Problem Now...
    Sound more like an issue of local incompetence... or apathy. But speaking as someone who as a degree in Electronic Engineering and a LOT of years on the job... the most difficult problem there is to fix... is one that is very intermittant.

Plus we can only guess what they have actually tried or replaced thus far.. Its possible they have already replaced most of "the works" and yet it still happens on rare occaisons.

Also one of the reasons I never blindly drive through railway crossings without slowing down enough to look both directions before proceeding. Even on controlled crossings.

Apr 10, 2014, 07:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    Plus we can only guess what they have actually tried or replaced thus far.. Its possible they have already replaced most of "the works" and yet it still happens on rare occaisons.
    Also one of the reasons I never blindly drive through railway crossings without slowing down enough to look both directions before proceeding. Even on controlled crossings.

Well External Affairs Minister Baird who's Riding takes in the Rail Crossings... Is Breathing Fire and You can be sure there is more than a Dozen Headless Chickens running around...

But seriously like our Parents all taught us when attempting to cross the road to the otherside.. Stop , Look Both Ways before Crossing... The School Bus is required by law when approaching a Rail Crossing to Stop disengage Transmission , open his/her door and look both ways.. Coast clear proceed with Caution...

Considering this issue Involved a Public Transit Bus... They Should Not Be Exempt from the Same Practise... Cheers
    Uber Member

Apr 10, 2014, 08:06 AM
    I would think they would not be exempt either... or shouldn't be.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is wifi [ 10 Answers ]

I do not under stand what wifi is

1960's or 1970's horror flic with little gremlins attacking a family [ 1 Answers ]

All I can remember is that there are these little ugly gremlin type people who live in the walls and attick and at night they attacked people, killed them and drug the bodies into the walls.

Wifi vs Wireless and AT&T's Free Wifi Service [ 1 Answers ]

Hello Everyone! I'm computer illiterate, and have a few questions. Please feel free to explain the most basic details. :) One, is wifi the same as a home wireless internet connection? If I disable Wireless Zero Configuration, could someone still utilize my free public wifi service at hotspots? ...

Gremlins 2 [ 1 Answers ]

Just out of curiosity, how does Billy happen to get Gizmo back in Gremlins 2? I can't remember!

View more questions Search