Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Saira2008 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 19, 2008, 12:21 PM
    Can my visa status be changed from F1 to H1 because of.
    Can my visa status be changed from F1 to H1 because of...

Currently I am on F1/OPT and it will expire on march. My son is born and he is now USA citizen. Can I change my current F1/OPT to H1 or some other category. I have done masters in information technology and currently I am not emplyeed anywhere. I am still searching for job.

Does the birth of my child in USA can benefit me in any way (regarding visa status)?
    lawanwadee Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 124
    Immigration Expert

Nov 19, 2008, 01:43 PM

Having a child who obtained citizenship by birthplace does not give you any benefits on visa status. You must maintain your legal status like others. However, when your child reaches the age of 21 and meets the requirements to sponsor immigrant visas for the parents, then he/she can petition you.

Maintain you status, do not overstay your visa, or you won't be qualified to receive immigrant visa in the future. If you overstay the visa more than 1 year, you will be bar from entering US for 10 years.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Changed Status From B1 To L1 [ 1 Answers ]

Am I entitled to a Social Security Number? If so what should I do? Can I get a driver's license?

Status changed from F1 to H1B, some questions [ 4 Answers ]

I had tax related questions and was hoping someone could help. I am from Pakistan, I came to the US on an F1 visa in July 2005 and my status changed from F1 to H1B on October 1st 2007. I have been working full time since Aug/1/2007. Am I a resident or non resident alien? Can I claim the standard...

B1 status changed to J1 visa , filing tax as non resident vs resident [ 4 Answers ]

Hi. I have been in the US for 1.5 years. I arrived on July 2006 to work as a physician alien and research scholar. I was previously in the US partially for at least 6 months each of the previous years from 2002 to 2005 on a B1 visa. When I came to the US in 2006 I had a J1 visa. I filled last...

What Status should I file tax since my status changed from F1 to H1 from Oct 23 2006! [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I have the following questions about filing for taxes for the yr 2006. 1. Since my visa status changed from F1 to H1 on oct 23rd 2006, what status should I file the taxes as & which form should I use? Till now I have used 1040nr ez! FYI : I am frm India, I have not left US from...

View more questions Search