Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    moonlite Posts: 90, Reputation: 3

May 21, 2009, 10:36 AM
    Must every property sale be on public record ?
    I'm just wondering if a seller of a home has the power to keep all sale details off public records so nobody will know when the property sold or for how much it sold for. Is there a federal or state law requiring all property sales to be on public records so anyone can have access to it ? Thank you.
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

May 21, 2009, 11:52 AM
    In order for the sale of a home to be completed in accordance with law, the deed must be recorded in the county clerk or county register's office, in order to provide public notice. If the deed is not recorded then the buyer will not have clear title. There has to be a way to provide notice to the public that a transaction has taken place and the buyer is the owner of record.

May 21, 2009, 12:08 PM
    Thank you. I guess your answer is NO. For the sale to be completed, it must be recorded and the record must be public. The seller can not manipulate the buyer to do some kind of a hush-hush deal under the table.

May 21, 2009, 12:10 PM
    But the deed will not show how much the property sold for. What about this information ? Must the sale price be public also ? Thanks again.
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

May 21, 2009, 12:16 PM
    The deed must show a price. According to law it must be the full amount that was paid, because the state taxes the seller according to the purchase price. People always try to find a way around it, such as attributing part of the purchase price to "extras" or furnishings or something like that, but it is illegal. Also, a form is supposed to be sent to the IRS listing the full purchase price so they can determine if there is a tax due on the profit.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Journal entry for purchase and sale of property for sale [ 5 Answers ]

I purchase an apartment for $ 1.7m and paid first instalmment of 250k ,Before the second installment I sell the apartment at the value of 1.9m .Please tell me how to record the journal entry .

Is Deposition Public Record? [ 2 Answers ]

I was in on a deposition for a trial that will be heard in July. There was a court reporter present although the deposition took place in a private office, not in a court room, and the plaintiff was sworn in. It is real estate related. The plaintiff brought up and said some things that other...

Public record [ 1 Answers ]

I have a public record on my credit report. This was a landlord/tenant filing. We took care of this before the courts got involved. The landlord went to the court house and dismissed this judgement. However,it is still showing on my report as a negative. HELP... :confused:

Getting a Judgement off my public record [ 2 Answers ]

:( We are trying to get approved for a new trailer. Our title company did a search and found some judgments that we did not know we had. We have taken care of all but 1. This company has not responded to any of our inquiry's. It has been almost 2 months now and still nothing. This judgement was not...

View more questions Search