Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Cocobabyjune16 Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Aug 16, 2011, 11:51 AM
    Need help! Parents can't know!
    Yesterday I was with a friend and we got caught stealing from macys in Michigan, we have to pay a 200 fine to the store and the cops came, he said he will be issuing a warent then we have to go to the station etc. Then court date. I am 18 years old. What the hell is going to happen to me? I'm so scarred. I haven't told my parents and I don't plan on it and on top of all of this I leave for college August 31st. Please help!
    spitvenom Posts: 1,266, Reputation: 373
    Ultra Member

Aug 16, 2011, 12:03 PM

Let me ask you a question Does your local paper have a police log? Cause if they do everyone in town is going to know about it. My advice tell your parents. Same thing happened to my cousin (Same store except in Philadelphia) I just happened to be reading the police log (hoping to see someone I knew) And there it was my cousin's name I called her and told her it is in the paper. Her dad saw it and flipped out because she tried to hide it from him. You are an adult now tell them what happened!!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 16, 2011, 12:46 PM

First don't make a really second bigger mistake after a first one.

Your parents almost for sure will find out, esp if you live at home, there will be court documents mailed to the house, the store will most likely mail documents asking for civil penalties also.

Expect to have a court date ( you have to come back from college and go to it) expect to get probation, and expect to pay a fine ( my guess 300 to 500 dollars) in addition, expect the store to send you a civil penalty bill of about another 500 dollars to pay.

So expect to owe 500 to 1000 dollars and spend a day in court with a dozen letters coming to your home.

Aug 16, 2011, 02:54 PM
    The civil fine with maceys is handled... I'm talking about what will happen when I go to court. I have to pay maceys a 200fine and they aren't sending anything to my house as long as I pay it off. But I need to know what to expect in court:( and telling my parents will get me beat and I won't be going to college. So that's a nonono

Aug 16, 2011, 02:55 PM
    And what about this being on my record?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 16, 2011, 03:06 PM

Why would telling your parents knock out college?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 16, 2011, 03:08 PM

Why would your parents beat you up? That's abuse and is reportable in and of itself.

Aug 16, 2011, 03:31 PM
    If they find out about this they will not pay for my education. I need to know what will happen in court?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 16, 2011, 04:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Cocobabyjune16 View Post
    If they find out about this they will not pay for my education. I need to know what will happen in court?
    If you were my kid and came clean to me and showed me that I had raised a truthful child capable of remorse, I would pay for your education.

Of course if I find out about the theft when you're in college, say, in a year or so, I'd cut you off in disgust and let you pay your own way.

In court: You will have to pay the fine and court costs, possibly attend and successfully complete a correction counseling program related to your offense, be responsible for making full restitution to the victim, and possibly do community service for x number of hours.

This may be a stain on your record and may cost you further down the line, especially when trying to get a new job.

How much did you steal (dollar value)? Do you have a lawyer?

Aug 16, 2011, 05:31 PM
    83$, and no I don't Have a lawyer, not yet at least. This is my first time ever getting in trouble with the law, and whenever court is I will have to come down from school.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 16, 2011, 05:34 PM
    I will have to come down from school.
    And your parents won't wonder?
    slapshot_oi Posts: 1,537, Reputation: 589
    Ultra Member

Aug 16, 2011, 05:35 PM

Spitvenom has very real advice, this is all logged for public record, and because you're a legal adult your name will definitely appear in the log.

Just be honest and tell them.

Now to put your mind at ease...

I'll assume this is a misdemeanor charge and this is your first offense... first of all, there is no document the court needs to give you other than a summons which you received from the police that bagged you. Secondly, a court will never send paperwork for a criminal case in the mail ever, for the obvious reasons that the address doesn't exist, the mail is lost, or the recipient claims it never arrived, and so on. The only documents you'll receive in the mail from a court is a summons for jury duty and any documents you request to be mailed to you, like when you opt to fight a speeding ticket, that's it. That's one of the purposes of the court system, so law officials can bare witness that you were present for all necessary discussions and received all necessary documentation and that you understood 100% of it.

Anyway, you'll get to court early and spend most of it sitting on a bench waiting for your name to be called, they call you up and ask whether your guilty—and you should admit guilt because it isn't worth hiring a defense lawyer for a misdemeanor. When you own up to it, the DA will recommend your punishment to the judge and if he isn't fresh out of law school with sometime to prove, you'll end up with community service that you can most assuredly serve at your school and be put on probation for six months. Also, court fees are cheap for misdemeanors, around $50.

At any rate, do not miss your court date and tell your parents.

Aug 16, 2011, 07:15 PM
    They will not know when I come down, I can't sleep can't eat I'm just ao scarred and worried and MY PARENTS don't need this. They have bigger issues and I don't won't them to worry about this as well as them affording my college and stuff. It will break thee heart and I can't do that I just can't
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 16, 2011, 07:28 PM

May I ask if you are so worried about this, why did you do it? You knew stealing was against the law, you KNEW there was a chance you could get caught.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 16, 2011, 07:50 PM
    Sorry, hard to feel sorry for someone who steals and now wants to lie and not be a adult and stand up for what they did.

Next sorry but yes, for things like this, you can get all sort of court mail, summons, letter to go in for finger print if that is required ( as they do in Canada) Plus letters from the store, and if you don't pay, then they turn it to collectoins and the phone call starts.

Aug 17, 2011, 10:35 AM
    I know what I did was wrong, stupid, nieve, and dumb. If that's all you want to tell me then I don't need your advice. I'm asking questions about help not to bash me on how dumb my choice was I get that and I know that. Again for the 3rd time MACEYS is handled they are paid and out of the way! It's over with them! I'm trying to figure out what to expect in court! ADVICE ONLY PLEASE!

Aug 17, 2011, 10:39 AM
    And I made a stupid mistake, I'm am honor roll student who ducked up. And I don't plane on lying to my parents, I'm just not telling them. I don't feel like getting my *** beat thanks though. And I would like to go to college. Telling them will not help me overall because I'm 18 and have to go to court as an adult so I c no need in dragging them in this.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 17, 2011, 10:59 AM
    nieve ... ADVICE ONLY PLEASE!
    No, you don't want advice; you want to know what will happen legally. We have told you.

The word is "naive," not "nieve."
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 17, 2011, 11:01 AM
    And I made a stupid mistake, I'm am honor roll student who ducked up. And I don't plane on lying to my parents, I'm just not telling them.
    And what do you plan to say to them when they find out? -- and they WILL find out. Why pile lie upon lie?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 17, 2011, 11:03 AM
    I'm 18 and have to go to court as an adult so I c no need in dragging them in this.
    So therefore you do not need their financial support for college. You are an adult.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Step parents and grand parents [ 2 Answers ]

are there any laws in pa say that stepparents nad grandparents have right to say what goes in my child's life ?

What happens at a military hearing to see if parents of an infant are fit parents [ 3 Answers ]

My grandbaby was born in a military hospital. When he was about 3 weeks old he had to be taken back to hospital because of not gaining weight. While there, the hospital filed a complaint with social services about the care of him. The baby was malnurished, unclean, they had no car seat to take...

Dealing with parents and parents in law [ 5 Answers ]

Im getting married soon. Both parties wants us to have a little service of sorts. Praying etc. The only problem is I don't believe in any religion. I was brought up to be a christian but a few years ago came to the realisation that its all misinformation. I have tried explaing to the parents we...

Wwhat to do if you want to leave your parents and join another family withou parents [ 5 Answers ]

What should I do when I want to leave my family and join another at 16-years old?

On Credit card with Parents- Parents Leaving me holding the bag [ 3 Answers ]

I got out of a bad relationship and my credit was bad... so my parents offered to take out some credit cards and also put me on some established ones... I am only on there as a signer, authorized user... I charged very little most of the charges were for a business my mom owns... they now have...

View more questions Search