Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Denisplpro Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Feb 13, 2015, 10:47 AM
    Bryant ceiling mounted shop heater
    The heater will not fire. The pilot light is on (older heater) but the burner won't light, I jumped the gas block and still nothing, don't want to replace the gas block if it is something stupid. It has done this many times before then out of no where it will fire. Any suggestions?
    Grady White Posts: 1,417, Reputation: 59
    Ultra Member

Feb 14, 2015, 06:54 PM
    Is the gas valve 24v or millivolt?

Feb 15, 2015, 07:41 AM
    24 volt gas block with a standing pilot, I realized after the post you can't jump the block on a 24 v system like a mv.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Feb 15, 2015, 07:55 AM
    http://www.robertshawtstats.com/spaw...%20SYSTEMS.pdf

You can peruse this PDF, and starting about page 32, go through the check procedure to see if the gas valve system has to be cleaned, adjusted, or replaced.

Do you have a manufacturer and model number for the gas valve? Maybe a more specific check procedure can be found.

Feb 15, 2015, 07:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman View Post
    http://www.robertshawtstats.com/spaw...%20SYSTEMS.pdf

You can peruse this PDF, and starting about page 32, go through the check procedure to see if the gas valve system has to be cleaned, adjusted, or replaced.

Do you have a manufacturer and model number for the gas valve? Maybe a more specific check procedure can be found.
    Gas valve WR 36C21-411---Heater model 200-341... TY!
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Feb 15, 2015, 09:24 AM
    Thank for your patience. You can change the gas block for $160 bucks or less depending on where you get it from. That's better than taking it apart, and changing components. I can provide the rather detailed and extensive procedure for checking this unit with an ohm meter but may lead you to the same conclusion of changing the gas valve unit. I know, for that kind of money you can get a new heater for your garage/shop

Last question, is this a switch actuated or thermostat controlled heater?

Feb 15, 2015, 10:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman View Post
    Thank for your patience. You can change the gas block for $160 bucks or less depending on where you get it from. That's better than taking it apart, and changing components. I can provide the rather detailed and extensive procedure for checking this unit with an ohm meter but may lead you to the same conclusion of changing the gas valve unit. I know, for that kind of money you can get a new heater for your garage/shop

Last question, is this a switch actuated or thermostat controlled heater?
    As you can imagine it is a very old unit, there is an electrical wall switch and a thermostat. Swapping out the gas block makes sense.
    Ultra Member

Feb 15, 2015, 01:47 PM
    Before you go throwing parts at it, I suggest checking to see if you are getting 24v to the gas valve during a call for heat. If you are not, a new gas valve won't help a bit.

Feb 15, 2015, 01:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Grady White View Post
    Before you go throwing parts at it, I suggest checking to see if you are getting 24v to the gas valve during a call for heat. If you are not, a new gas valve won't help a bit.
    Thanks makes sense, but what get me is it is intermittent.
    Ultra Member

Feb 15, 2015, 02:08 PM
    Presuming the thermostat is remotely mounted, try disconnecting it & jumpering the two wires together. Could be a stat problem.

Feb 15, 2015, 02:14 PM
    Presuming the thermostat is remotely mounted, try disconnecting it & jumpering the two wires together. Could be a stat problem.
    What is odd is that it goes through the firing sequence, once turned on the burner should fire but it does not. After about 45 seconds or so the fan turns on, I always thought the heat from the unit heating up turned on the fan, not the case, so it will blow cold air, when shutting off, it will go through the cool down cycle, letting the fan run for a bit...
    Ultra Member

Feb 15, 2015, 02:41 PM
    On most heaters today, the fan is on a timer. X seconds after there is a call for heat, regardless if there is flame or not, the fan will come on & stay on until Y seconds after the call for heat ends. The fact the fan comes on tells me the furnace is getting the call for heat.

Feb 15, 2015, 02:44 PM
    Ok, makes sense... just need some gas... TY!
    Ultra Member

Feb 15, 2015, 03:05 PM
    You're welcome. When you get a call for heat, check for 24v between M & C or MV/PV & MV depending upon how your valve is marked. If you get the 24v, give the valve body a few firm raps with wrench or small hammer. Sometimes that will loosen a stuck valve.

Feb 15, 2015, 03:42 PM
    You're welcome. When you get a call for heat, check for 24v between M & C or MV/PV & MV depending upon how your valve is marked. If you get the 24v, give the valve body a few firm raps with wrench or small hammer. Sometimes that will loosen a stuck valve.
    LOL, first thing I did. I will put a test on it tomorrow.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

3 ton bryant, roof mounted frigidare package won't shut off. [ 1 Answers ]

3 ton bryant, roof mounted frigidare package won't shut off. Why? My husband thinks it could be the compressor.

Wall mounted bathroom heater [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 1970's electric wall heater unit that does not work. It is flush with the wall; has a metal grate cover; a single circular ceramic tube center and sits in a metal box. I have searched the internet extensively for a replacement unit... does anyone know where I might find one or if I can...

Ceiling fan mounted at peak of vaulted ceiling [ 3 Answers ]

Is there a way to attractively mount a ceiling fan at the peak of a vaulted ceiling?

Can this ceiling fan be flush mounted [ 3 Answers ]

Have a Hampton Bay ceiling fan with what looks like a 4 or 5 inch rod.. model is AC552 also has an E75795 YL... sku 763693---moving to room with lower ceiling height, fan is about 3 yrs old can it be flush mounted?---Thank you Joe M.

View more questions Search