Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    meltrol Posts: 74, Reputation: 4

Jul 2, 2013, 04:37 AM
    Florida wills
    My parents had wills written by an attorney when they lived in Florida. Now they live in PA close to me. Are those wills valid in PA?
    Thanks!
    Bill
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jul 2, 2013, 04:47 AM
    Yes. The only differences among states as far as I know involve details about witnesses, notarizing, and handwritten wills (holographic) when done without a lawyer.
    (Louisiana has arcane laws and might be an exception.)

PS: can you mention briefly how it went taking out your fiberglas tub and surround?

Jul 2, 2013, 05:25 AM
    Thanks for the response about the wills!

Didn't attempt the tub/shower demolition yet.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 2, 2013, 07:16 AM
    Yes the wills are valid, but wills should be reviewed periodically and revised as circumstances change.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 2, 2013, 07:48 AM
    I agree, because of the new residence, I would redo the wills,
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jul 2, 2013, 09:08 AM
    I see no reason to redo them just because they live in a new state. They certainly can review them but don't need to pay a lawyer to do that, unless there's some questions.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 2, 2013, 11:35 AM
    Probate can get complicated. I personally would have a new Will prepared according to the law of the State of residence.

After the cost of the move the Will will be peanuts.

Jul 2, 2013, 01:39 PM
    Thanks folks. I'm simply going to pass on to my parents the information you gave me and let them decide if they want to have the wills reviewed. They are actually very simple wills. When they both die my brother and I get everything, split 50/50.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 2, 2013, 02:11 PM
    And if you or your brother dies before they do - ?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 2, 2013, 02:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by meltrol View Post
    Thanks folks. I'm simply going to pass on to my parents the information you gave me and let them decide if they want to have the wills reviewed. They are actually very simple wills. When they both die my brother and I get everything, split 50/50.
    If the wills are that simple and don't specify the nature of the property in the estate, then they don't need to be rewritten.

Jul 2, 2013, 05:03 PM
    Good point! Since the wills were written by an attorney down there I'd like to think that grim issue was covered. Never the less, I will check on it.
    Thanks!
    Bill

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Law wills [ 9 Answers ]

My Grandfather who raised me provided for me in his will . Him and my Grandmother had a will where everything was left to him and when he died everything was to be sold and divided among 4 Grandchildren. Grandfather and 2nd wife made new will that left things to me and her Daughter. 2nd wife ad...

Does any one know about wills? [ 24 Answers ]

Is it legal in North Carolina to make a will leaving real property to someone other than your spouse with out the knowledge and consent of said spouse?

Wills [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, Recently my grandma passed away. She had a will and she appointed an executor to carry out her last wishes. Due to family conflict the executor has decided to step back and allow an attorney to carry out the will. Now I know that all of the bank accounts have beneficiary desingation however...

Wills [ 1 Answers ]

Is there a limit of time for a family member to request to view a deceased family member s Will? Who would a person contact to see the will?

Wills [ 2 Answers ]

I was just wondering what the California law is about the following. After my mother died my ex sister in law at the day of the funeral approached my father to sign things over to her, I believe he did? Then re recently got married and the lady talked my father into signing things over to her. As...

View more questions Search