Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    PSnewbie Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 29, 2007, 03:59 PM
    Supervision for shoplifting under $100. Can I be a Cop?
    When I was 18 I shoplifted and obviously I got caught. I gave them everything I shoplifted and was still arrested. I eagerly repaid my debts to them and was given a huge leniency. I was give one year court supervision not probation, and it was not counted as a conviction. What are my chances of being able to be a cop in a somewhat small village in Illinois? Thanks for your help.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 29, 2007, 04:19 PM
    Hello PS:

I think your chances are 65/35 in your favor.

excon
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Mar 29, 2007, 04:20 PM
    You are only going to know when you check out your state's requirements - background check and education. I know here, in ND, something like that would not affect you going into law enforcement.

Here are a couple sites I found concerning law enforcement in Illinois:

Career Opportunities for Law Enforcement - '02

City of Edwardsville, Illinois -- Sworn Law Enforcement Officer Information

Trooper - State of Illinois, IL: Law Enforcement and Police Jobs @ Officer.com

One of the requirements is that you were not convicted of a felony. And you were not. So check things out and if it looks good - best of luck to you.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 29, 2007, 07:20 PM
    You will be able to be POST certified in every state I know of. But it may be the issue that some of the better departments, that have about 100 applications for every one opening it can hurt your chance of being picked.

But you wlil find some dept you can be hired at.
    Tassky Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 22, 2009, 08:06 PM
    I've had a similar question but I have a misdemeanor for larceny for changing price tags can I still get in
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Nov 23, 2009, 08:00 AM

There are so many applicants for each position right now that I doubt it. Before you pay for schooling, ask someone who knows.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

2 part movie, murderer dressed as cop or maybe was cop [ 1 Answers ]

Can't think of the name. Was a two nighter, 4 hours. Murderer had a police uniform on, so people trusted him. Remember a winnebago ( I think) was the getaway for people that had been kidnapped by bad cop. Large mean dogs also, dobermans, I think. Bad guy sort of looked like mean doc on scrubs,...

Misdemeanor embezzlement cop? [ 1 Answers ]

Ok so all most a year ago I was convected of misdemeanor embezzlement and had do do 43 days (but opted for work party) and 3 years of informal probation (and can I get a shortened term?)i want to still know if I can become a cop I want to and I also want to know if I want to apply for a job...

Can I Still Become A Cop If I Have A Deffered Sentence? [ 4 Answers ]

I Had Two Felony Charges, Both Non-violent And Where Deferred, Well Since There Deferred Can I Become Police Officer Since I Wasn't Convicted,I Live In Oklahoma And I Always Wanted To Be A Cop Just Got Stupid 6 Years Ago, I Was Young And You Know How That Goes, I Was Told I Can But Guns,vote And...

IP Cop Help [ 4 Answers ]

Hi guys I recently got adsl with a router. This is the problem. The router will only let my client machine connect if its giving out DHCP. If I use static with the router as default gateway I can do anything on the net. I am now trying to setup an ipcop(1.4.6) machine. I have given the...

IP Cop problems [ 7 Answers ]

I have an IP Cop firewall that I am using to split my network in half. My setup consists of a Netgear router which goes out to my office netork of 5 or so computers, one of which is my IP Cop box. The IP Cop box then goes to a switch which I plug customer computers into. So essentially I have an...

View more questions Search