Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TonyK132 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 6, 2016, 09:47 PM
    2nd Pump Needed?
    Hello - I have a boiler for my heat and hot water. My plumber wants to replace the pump on the boiler to a more powerful model that pushes more water through the system which he says will provide more heat. He also wants to rewire the controls to give priority to the water heater over the other heat, which will provide almost the same benefit as adding an on-demand water heater. All of that makes sense to me. But he also wants to add a 2nd pump just to the water heater which he claims will push even more hot water to the water heater which will do a better job of heating the water quicker. But if both pumps are the same capacity, will the 2nd pump really do anything? It seems the 2nd pump will only get as much water as is pushed by the 1st pump, so there would be no benefit and lots of cost to adding that 2nd pump. Am I missing something?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Dec 7, 2016, 04:17 PM
    Unless you are living in a multi-level 20,000 sq/ft home I see no need for two. How bad was it with the one smaller one you have now. What is not good on the current set-up?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Which hunter thermostat is needed for Heat Pump? [ 1 Answers ]

WE have a Trane Thermostat and want to replace it with a Hunter Thermostat.

Circulator pump not kicking on when needed. [ 1 Answers ]

Gas fired hot water baseboard system. 3 thermostat zones. When 1 of the zones calls for heat, the zone valve opens and a 'click' is heard, but does not kick the pump on. If I switch the pump from 'intermitent' to 'constant', water flows, the boiler kicks on and all works fine.

Modification of Probation/2nd DUI in Maryland--Advice needed [ 10 Answers ]

I got my 2nd DUI in Aug of 09-I went to court in January: recv'd 2 years probation with the possbile modification after the first year, 1 year suspended in jail, had to finish 6 month Alcohol program and required to have the interlock installed in my vehicle. I have finished my classes and have...

Booster pump expert needed! [ 9 Answers ]

I have a Davey Torrium D booster pump, taking water from my storage tank into my house. But my problem is not in any of their troubleshooting scenarios. Basically the pump only works when I press the prime button. If I take my finger off the button it no longer pumps. I've reprimed it, turned...

Heat pump insight needed, [ 5 Answers ]

Bought a 1960's NE GA home a year ago last December. 1300 sq. ft, brick, with an unfinished partial basement. First electric bill came in at a whopping $250.00, so I called for service on the heat. It hadn't been serviced in years. Ended up they put 5 lbs. of freon in. Electric bill went down....

View more questions Search