Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mrclean Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Nov 6, 2006, 08:39 PM
    Plaster wall repair
    While on a second coat of fast setting Sheetrock *90*, I have several spots that end up drying with pin holes in quite a consistent pattern. There is probably 10 holes in the size of a dime.
    Would you have any suggestion to what is wrong?
    Thank You Very Much
    tyrel Posts: 6, Reputation: 2

Nov 7, 2006, 07:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mrclean
    While on a second coat of fast setting Sheetrock *90*, I have several spots that end up drying with pin holes in quite a consistent pattern. There is probably 10 holes in the size of a dime.
    Would you have any suggestion to what is wrong?
    Thank You Very Much
    I did sheetrock for 8 years and the only reason that I had pinholes was because the mud was drying way to fast or your coat is way to thin. I had to use regular sheetrock mud to fill in those areas that have pinholes. Don't use finish mud until holes are filled. I don't care too much for sheetrock fast set mud "90 min" because it would either crack in the near future or else it would get those pin holes. I realize that most Professional sheetrockers use this mud, but the journeyman that I worked for was deadset against it. In 8 years, my boss and I only had to return to one job to fix a seam that cracked, so I guess he had the right of it.
    Also make sure that your sheetrock has the paper on it and it is smooth. Oftentimes, if the sheetrock is roughed up then it can cause those pinholes also.
    skiberger Posts: 562, Reputation: 41

Nov 7, 2006, 07:59 PM
    I use 20, 45, 90 all the time. The only time I get "holes" if I add too much water or over mix the mud.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Re-finishing plaster [ 6 Answers ]

Hello again- If you could not tell from my previous posts, my pool is being re modeled. I appreciate the support here and had 2 more questions. Re plastering is the final step or the first? That is before the tile/coping go on. Is Sider-Proof FF-PR considered a "real" plaster or just DIY...

New wiring in plaster walls [ 10 Answers ]

Ok, I need any help I can get on this one. I am rewiring my living room of an old victorian house built around 1900. The exterior wall is brick and the interior wall is plaster. The plaster was placed directly on top of the brick (no lath or wood inbetween). Does anyone have any experience with...

Repair leaking PVC elbow in a wall. [ 4 Answers ]

I have discovered a leaking PVC elbow between an upstairs tub and the drain to the downstairs. It is in a very difficult to get to area. Since I can't get to it to cut it out and glue another will a silicone sealant possibly stop the leak? Or is there some other kind of sealant that might work...

Repairing Plaster walls [ 1 Answers ]

Our house is over 100 years old. The walls have cracks and places where the plaster is coming loose from the wall. I would like a quick and easy cheap fix. Have any Ideas? Thank You Kyle

How to repair basement wall? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, If I'm not in the correct category here, please direct me to the correct one. I have a split level house which has a partially submerged basement. The basement walls are approximately 4 feet deep into the ground. Every time it rains, water seeps in from 2 walls at the bottom where they...

View more questions Search