Tapered drill bits
    Hi,
    How do I sharpen a tapered drill bit.
    Thanks,
    Randy
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Feb 6, 2006, 03:55 AM
    I could not find one source for this service - but did find 2 sources complaining that the cost to sharpen at a local shop was half the price of a new bit.

I checked out all the sharpeners, like Drill Doctor, too - but found none of them handle tapereds.

Sounds like between time finding a shop to do it - and what it would cost you - you may be better off just buying a new bit.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 6, 2006, 06:36 AM
    Yep RickJ about nailed that one, I spent more time researching that one than I have almost any question on here, and nothing was found for the tapered ones.
    ste6967 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Feb 19, 2006, 09:28 AM
    Is there a collage near by Go to the trade school part the teacher will show the student how to sharpen it he will get credit an you will get a bit sharpend free .Did this fior my daughter in welding shop .I saved rod,electricity and time an she got credit Steve
    sunnyd Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 6, 2007, 08:25 AM
    Go to menards or Lowe's and buy a drill bit sharpener, it's a little fixture that you put the drill bit into and it has the correct angle set in it so you just put it to your grinding wheel and it's the correct angle and clearence. Good luck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do you drill vitreous china? [ 6 Answers ]

Hi all, I'm thinking of adding a soap dispenser to my bathroom sink, a project which will involve drilling a new hole in the faucet deck to accommodate the new addition. All the plumbing books I've read warn me to use the proper drilling technique for whatever material the sink is made of. So I...

Drill holes in shell [ 2 Answers ]

What is the best, most efficitent, cheapest way to drill a holes in shells. I have lots of shells that need to get small holes drilled in them, but it seems that shells are very hard and it takes an incredibly long time. I have used a hand drill with an ordinary drill bit and it worked OK but took...

My life is in bits... [ 228 Answers ]

OK so Pete split up with me on Sunday, says he does not love me anymore. There was no warning signs and everything was fine until Saturday evening. I went away for the night on a hen do. I phoned him that night and he could not get me off the phone quick enough. I did not hear from him all...

View more questions Search