Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nmccoy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 3, 2008, 01:52 PM
    Selling an engagement ring
    I broke off my engagement to Bob. I offered to return the ring because it is worth $10,000.
    He said no and told me to keep it. We are on good terms but rarely talk to each other. I want to sell it because I need the money but feel bad about it. What do I do?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 3, 2008, 01:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by nmccoy
    I broke off my engagement to Bob. I offered to return the ring because it is worth $10,000.
    He said no and told me to keep it. We are on good terms but rarely talk to each other. I want to sell it because I need the money but feel bad about it. What do I do?

I don't know why you would want to keep a symbol of a broken engagement - as long as he is not requesting that it be returned (and I trust you have a witness because these things can get nasty) I would sell it.
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

Aug 3, 2008, 01:57 PM
    Recently, a wise (but young) lady told me that an engagement ring is like a contract... for marriage. Obviously, it's proper to return it. As JudyKayTee said, it can get ugly if he asks for it back later.

However, if he really wants you to keep it... then go all out. It's going to sit there and collect dust.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 3, 2008, 02:55 PM
    Yes, if you are going to keep and sell it I wouid do it with his agreement in writing.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Return Engagement ring [ 4 Answers ]

In the state of Virginia... is an engagement ring to be returned upon the couple not getting married? Very simple question. Thank you,

Engagement Ring [ 5 Answers ]

I was curious if I can get it back. The thing is I live in NY and the girl I am Engaged to is in another country... what should I do and can I get the ring back? TT

Engagement ring upgrade [ 4 Answers ]

My wife and I are soon to be celebrating our anniversary by having a vow renewal, and we have already bought and upgraded her old engagement ring to a larger ring, so she can show it off. Does anyone know where I can go to sell the old one?

What's the difference between a comitment ring and an engagement ring? [ 13 Answers ]

Can someone please help me here I was wondering what's the difference between a commitment ring and an engagement ring?

Old Engagement Ring [ 24 Answers ]

Should you give it back if you changed your mind or accept it because it was a gift?

View more questions Search