Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fletcher.jwf Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 27, 2010, 07:16 PM
    Someone jammed a cutler hammer 100 amp breaker in a squre d box
    It seems that someone has installed a 100amp breaker going to a well/pool house with a cutler hammer in a square d box. I noticed it wasn't pudhed in all the way, and had tried to fix it, only realizing that it wouldn't go in all the way. 2 questions, Can I use any old square D 100amp breaker and do I even need one that large. 4 floodlights, a well pump, and a few inside lights.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Dec 27, 2010, 07:40 PM

First off, Sq D QO series, or HOM series?

I imagine HOM since a C-H BR series will fit a little, but will not sit all the way down like you say.

Either way, get the right Sq D breaker for the panel. If it is a 100A feeder then anything smaller will most likely not accept the size wire that was run.

What size was run BTW?
    Missouri Bound Posts: 1,532, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Dec 27, 2010, 07:45 PM
    Fletcher... what Stan and I want to know is what size wire was run for this circuit? The breaker size will be determined by the wiring size, since the wiring is in place.

Dec 27, 2010, 07:55 PM
    I don't know gauges that well, but it seems large, probably 1/4" dia. Copper wire(2 of them). It seems large enough. I just realized that it is a Homeline Panel. I checked the prices at Home Depot for a homeline 100amp breaker: $32. I haven't touched a breaker in over 15 years, I think I can handle switching it out. I'll cut off the main and won't touch anything other than my breaker and the two wires coming into it.

Is 100amp appropriate? Does it hurt to have it too big? It just seemed a little large for a well pump and about 6 lights.

Dec 27, 2010, 07:59 PM
    What really blows my mind is that someone left it half jammed in there. The pump has worked fine this way on my new wife's house, but I can't believe some electrician(or jack leg) actually left it this way. It looks similar to wiring I've seen in the past on my dryer, oven, etc. Heavy Gauge.
    Missouri Bound Posts: 1,532, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Dec 27, 2010, 08:50 PM
    Well if it's similar to what's on your dryer... it's not large enough to use on a 100 amp circuit. Disconnect the power and look at the wire carefully... there should be some markings. Repeat DISCONNECT THE POWER before attempting this. Dryers typically use 30 amp breakers, and ovens 40 amp. Putting too large a breaker in is certainly a great wire to start a fire. When all else fails, call an expert.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to install new breaker box-upgrade from 100 to 200 amp [ 8 Answers ]

I have done a bit of electrical work installing lighting and outlets and running new service to new appliances. I need to upgrade an old electrical breaker box from 100 amp to 200 amp. I want to know where I can find the specifics of the procedure so I can determine if I can do it myself seeing as...

Grounding requirements for a 200 amp Cutler Hammer panel [ 3 Answers ]

I have a few questions that I need help with please! First, I have an existing house (in Oklahoma) that I am changing out an old federal panel to a 200 amp (with main, single phase) cutler hammer. There is no existing ground rod and I believe the existing panel just has a stranded ground ran to the...

Can I use a 100 amp breaker box as a sub-panel? [ 1 Answers ]

I have an addition and added a 200 service. My question is can I run the 200 amp in my new location and still use the 100 amp as a sub off the new box? Thanks

Identify 100 Amp vs 200 Amp Household Breaker Box [ 10 Answers ]

In my home Breaker Panel there are two breakers connected by a bar (labeled "Service Disconnect"), each breaker has a "100" written on them. Is this a 100 amp or 200amp Breaker box? Salesman wants to know what size Breaker Box I have in order to order to correct tankless water heater.

Can I convert a main breaker Cutler Hammer loadcenter to main lug? [ 1 Answers ]

I was wondering if Cutler Hammer made a part to convert a main breaker load center (CH) style, to a main lug panel. If so, does anyone know the part number or can you refer me to a location where I could find it? Cutler Hammer's website is not too user friendly. Thanks

View more questions Search