Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Edugrace Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 22, 2006, 10:43 AM
    Never Help Your Cousin
    My Cousin Had No Credit History So I Took Out A Loan For Him. He Has Been Paying The Monthly Bills (not Always On Time)
    I Just Received A Letter From A Lawyer's Office Indicating That He Is Filling For Bankruptcy AND I'm In The List Of People And Institutions That He Owes Money To.

How Will This Affect Me, Would They Make Me Responsible For Paying The Remaining Balance ON THE AUTO LOAN.

Please, I Need Advice. I Called His Lawyer And He Wouldn't Talk To Me.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Feb 22, 2006, 10:56 AM
    Did I miss something or did I not read that he owes money TO you? You're simply named as a debtor. If the loan is in your name then you are indeed responsible for it.
    Nez Posts: 557, Reputation: 51

Feb 22, 2006, 11:32 AM
    Need is correct.If a friend of mine,or family member,had a loan in my name,and he/she could not pay at a later date,then I would have to pay off the balance.Plus any extra court costs.Always think twice before "being a good friend".It could even effect your credit rating at a later date.
    gazelleintense Posts: 175, Reputation: 13

May 3, 2007, 03:41 AM
    If you cosigned a loan, you are legally required to pay it if he don't. It's the same as if YOU borrowed the money. Never cosign. For anyone. Not even family.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Crzy cousin [ 6 Answers ]

I have a HUGE problem. Im fifteen and I have WAY older cousin who likes me( he's like around 20). It is so weird when I'm around him. He wants me to tell him if I like him or not. Im so scard of him. What can I do?! :'(

Cousin Liking Problem [ 5 Answers ]

The Problem is,that there is a second cousin of mine who lives abroad, She comes to india once in a year,and stays here for a month or so, But for those 30 days she always invites me wherever she goes.and Recently when she came,she treated me differently from the rest of the cousins, She gave...

Cousin David [ 3 Answers ]

Something my dad was telling me the other day made me think of this. I had a favorite cousin named David wood Jr. He wasn't my blood cousin but that did not matter to me. In 1998 David committed suicide. Everyone was torn up by this. My dad told me there were things going on in his family that we...

View more questions Search