Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    L127boogie Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 20, 2008, 05:53 PM
    Credit judgements
    Hi I recently had a judgement against me from some backrent that I owed back in 2002, I had a roommate living with me and I had about 3 months left when I told my roommate I was moving, he had agreed that he would pay the remaining 3 months on the rent then move, now me bieng only 22 at the time I was young and stupid, long story short he never paid it. I never received any letters about it until now, about a month ago I got a letter stating that I had to appear in court about the 1,686 dollars that I owned in backrent, I never showed and now I guess my old landlord won the case by default, I'm 30 yrs old now and have a family and I was trying to fix my credit before me and my fiancé decided to buy a house, its really stressful and I don't know what to do, my landlord's lawyer sent me this pamphlet with about 50 questions about my personal life, how much I make, how many people I live with and so on... I have 30 days to respond. I do want to resolve this, I want to set up some kind of payment arrangement. My question to you is there a certain minimum they would refuse? All I can spare a month right now is about 25.00 to 50.00 a month, I just had a newborn baby, I have hospital bills, rent, car payment, insurance so on and so on... and on top of everything else I am employed but I am currently on family medical leave due to severe migraines. I heard you have 10 years to pay off a judgement and on the pace I'm offering it would take me anywhere from 6 to 8 years. Can they refuse that sort of payment? I haven't called them yet to make any arrangement, I received the letter about a week ago. I don't own anything as of right now, can they garnish my wages? if you can help me out I would greatly appreicate it. Thank you.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 20, 2008, 06:29 PM
    First, you should NEVER ignore a summons. The best time to negotiate is BEFORE they get a judgement.

I don''t know where you heard about the 10 years. A judgement can last for 10 years and can be renewed. But the creditor wants his money ASAP. They can garnish your wages, attach your bank accounts and maybe attach other assets. So you need to make them an offer they can live with.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 21, 2008, 07:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by L127boogie
    hi i recently had a judgement against me from some backrent that i owed back in 2002, i had a roomate living with me and i had about 3 months left when i told my roomate i was moving, he had agreed that he would pay the remaining 3 months on the rent then move, now me bieng only 22 at the time i was young and stupid, long story short he never paid it. I never recieved any letters about it until now, about a month ago i got a letter stating that i had to appear in court about the 1,686 dollars that i owned in backrent, i never showed and now i guess my old landlord won the case by default, im 30 yrs old now and have a family and i was trying to fix my credit before me and my fiance decided to buy a house, its really stressful and i dont know what to do, my landlord's lawyer sent me this pamphlet with about 50 questions about my personal life, how much i make, how many people i live with and so on....i have 30 days to respond. i do wanna resolve this, i want to set up some kind of payment arrangement. my question to you is there a certain minimum they would refuse?? all i can spare a month right now is about 25.00 to 50.00 a month, i just had a newborn baby, i have hospital bills, rent, car payment, insurance so on and so on....and on top of everything else i am employed but i am currently on family medical leave due to severe migraines. i heard u have 10 years to pay off a judgement and on the pace im offering it would take me anywhere from 6 to 8 years. can they refuse that sort of payment?? i havent called them yet to make any arrangement, i recieved the letter about a week ago. i dont own anything as of right now, can they garnish my wages??if you can help me out i would greatly appreicate it. thank you.
    There is no "pay off in 10 year rule."

The creditor does not have to accept any payment arrangements - the creditor has the ability to file garnishment papers (when you go back to work) or take any other legal means to collect the Judgment. That's what the interrogatories you received are for - the creditor will use that info to make a decision whether to go with payments or move against assets/wages. If you don't fill out the papers they will simply go against assets/wages.

Is the Judgment against you and your ex-roommate or just you? There is a possibility depending on your State that you have a cause of action against the roommate if this is the first time you've heard about this. Statute would run, I believe, from the time you became aware of the collection matter.

Anyone have another thought on this?
    DBmtgprocessor Posts: 37, Reputation: 4

May 21, 2008, 07:44 AM
    Saying you have a family and a fiancé makes me think you are a single parent. They cannot garnish wages of the head of household. I'd send in the paperwork and try to make payment arrangements. The info they are asking for helps them in working out those arrangements
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 21, 2008, 02:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by DBmtgprocessor
    Saying you have a family and a fiance makes me think you are a single parent. They cannot garnish wages of the head of household. I'd send in the paperwork and try to make payment arrangements. The info they are asking for helps them in working out those arrangements

As far as I know the head of household exists only in Florida and there is a partial exemption in Missouri. Full wages can be garnisheed in all other States.

If you have info to the contrary, please post it - this is a common question "here." You must run into this scenario in your line of work and hopefully have better info than I have been able to locate.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Credit - judgements [ 2 Answers ]

:confused: How do you remove judgements from your credit file -- mind you they have been paid?

Credit Card judgements [ 5 Answers ]

I am in the process of getting a divorce and mine and my spouses credit cards are way out of control, I figure I am going to have to file Bankruptcy but I am worried about the credit cards having such a high balance. Is there a certain dollar amount that they will take further action like filing a...

Judgements against credit cards [ 4 Answers ]

I received a summons for non payment of a credit card. It states that if I do not respond a judgement will be filed against me. What is a judgement against a credit card and what does this affect my assets? Thank you! Janet

Credit card judgements [ 2 Answers ]

I live in SC, what items are exempt from being sold in a property seize.

Judgements on a credit report [ 2 Answers ]

How does a judgement get to your credit report? If I had a judgement against me, the court did not ask for my SSN. How will the credit agencies find out about the judgement? Does the plaintiff have to do something to make the credit agencies aware of the judgement? Thanks! Jw

View more questions Search