Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    covereddeck Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 9, 2009, 09:16 AM
    post size for deck
    I have a covered deck that is 10 ft x 18 ft and is 8 ft above the ground. It is covered with a hip roof. It is supported by three 4x4 posts. I want to put a ceiling on the roof of the deck but I am concerned about the support posts. Should they be 6x6 posts instead of 4x4 posts? The three posts are currently about 8.5 ft apart. The beam is a 4x 10 and the joists are 2x10 on 24 inch centers. The decking is 2x6 lumber.
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Jul 9, 2009, 04:09 PM

Its little lean here on using4x4s to begin with on that height. The 8' warp/bow factor is the issue here. I would have angled braced the 4x4 to cut down in shear. Its hard ro crush a post straight down, but the sideways shear movement is what most failures are from. or lack of good ground support and things sink.

What kind of ceiling are you putting in?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Deck support post size [ 5 Answers ]

I am building a 12' X 18' foot deck with pressure treated lumber. The 18' will be along the house with 12' joists out from there. I can not find what is required as far as post size. The deck will be 12' high and I planned on using four 4"X6" posts under the beam for support. That will be a post...

Mower deck belt size [ 1 Answers ]

Have a Sabre 15.5 riding mower and need a belt for the mower deck. What is the size or belt# for a 38" deck??

Lawn chief 14-45f deck belt size [ 4 Answers ]

Hello I am having a very hard time trying to find a part number for my lawnchief 14-45f I am looking for the main deck belt I have tried searching for online parts list's/manuals but had no luck Can anybody help please! Thank you Brekk

Deck tables, tributary load, and beam size for deck [ 4 Answers ]

I am confused with "deck tables" from different sources, specifically concerning beam size for a deck. I am planning a basic deck as shown: 9677 Sources that describe the "tributary load" and "tributary length" would allow me to use as little as (1) 2x6 for the "front beam" (tributary...

Beam, post size and connection for semi-covered deck [ 10 Answers ]

I am building a deck with a pergola cover, and would like some advice on size of post, and connection of beam to post. The attached picture shows the basic layout. I plan to put a support beam underneath through the middle (easy), so the effective joist span is only 6'. The front header/beam is...

View more questions Search