Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tinajero Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 29, 2008, 05:38 PM
    Replacing Old Bath Light/Fan with New.
    I am replacing an old batroom light fan with new one.
    Everything seemed fine until I had to do the wiring,

I have 2 wall switches on a single plack,
    One switch is for the light above the lavatory and for the ceiling light,
    The other switch was only for the fan.

The old light/fan wiring had only ONE BLACK WIRE, one Red, one White and one Copper.

The new light/fan has TWO BLACK WIRES, one Red, one White and one Copper..

I connected all black wires together, but when I turn on the light switch,
    EVERYTHING TURNS ON.

But the fan switch does not do anything.

What does one of the black wires connect to? Red or White?

If anybody can help me I will really appreciatte it.

Thank you.
    sportygirl153 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 29, 2008, 07:57 PM
    You may have to take down the plac and there should be another connection for another wire if so go and buy another black wire if not then connect the black wire to the light that should do it if not then call your local electrition:o
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Apr 1, 2008, 03:54 PM
    I take it the old fan had black connected to ceiling black, red connected to ceiling red, white to white?

And you tried the same for the new fan with both fan blacks connected to ceiling black?

Am I correct?
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Apr 1, 2008, 07:20 PM
    Does you new fan/light have a night light built into it? Did you get any wiring instructions with it. Remove the fan switch and tell us what color the wires connected to it are.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Are bath fan/light units wired to 2 switches? [ 3 Answers ]

In finishing my basement I'm adding a bathroom that will have wall mounted lights over the vanity/lav and a fan/light combo fixture closer to the shower. Is it common to wire the lights on both fixtures to one switch and the fan to another even though the fan/light combo is one unit? In other...

Light and bath fan on one switch [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I need a little help. I want the bath fan and light to opperate on one switch. I ran the power to the light and have the fan connected at the light. Then I ran the switch to the light.my problem is when I turn the light on, the light is very dim and the fan is at half speed. What am I doing...

Replacing light fan switch [ 1 Answers ]

Hello this is my first time here , I hope I`m asking the right question and using the site appropriately. I bought a new light ceiling fan switch , old was burned, is a two wire switch it had two blue wires to it, each wire is on each side of the switch , the new switch has two BLACK wires on...

Replacing light/fan with light/fan/heater [ 1 Answers ]

Is is possible? Right now we just have a light and a fan. I was wonder if I could put a heater in there as well.

Hampton Bay Bath Light Fixture - Not Fan related [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, My Hampton Bay bath light fixture recently started to act up. It has 3 bulbs and when switched on, one bulb would go off for a minute or so then come back on. It does this on and off. I rewired the connectors and then a different bulb would have the problem. I replaced all the bulbs so it's...

View more questions Search