Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    clowngirl2013 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 6, 2013, 05:00 AM
    Divorce
    After I run I run it in the news paper,not knowing where she is,how long before I'm divorced
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Nov 6, 2013, 05:11 AM
    Depends on which state or country you are in. And, in most places of which I am aware, you must first get a court order allowing you to serve her by publication. Publishing the notice without prior court permission is likely to require you to re-do it; quite expensive.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 6, 2013, 05:59 AM
    Just running an ad does not a divorce make. A divorce is a legal process and has to be granted by a court. Running an ad is a substitute for serving the other party legal notice of the divorce proceeding when their whereabouts are unknown. The way this generally works, is you apply to the courts for a divorce. The court requires that you serve the other party notice. You tell the court you don't know where the other party is. The court offers you some alternatives means of service. The court should specify how long you have to run the ad for and when you can return for finalization.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Nov 6, 2013, 07:19 AM
    Yes. I thought it was obvious, but perhaps not: you have to file a petition for divorce in a court. Unless you are in some third-world country, you cannot divorce your wife by some out-of-court ritual, even if it were to include publishing something in a newspaper.

And the divorce won't be final until the judge signs the final judgment. Normally, this will be after a hearing, even if you are able to achieve service of process by publication (as discussed above) and thereby have default entered against her.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My husband filed for divorce after I left him but won't sign to finalize divorce [ 3 Answers ]

I left my husband after taking physical, emotional, verbal, and mental abuse from him almost 3 years ago now. He filed for divorce over 2 years ago but refuses to sign the final divorce papers so I could get him out of my life once and for all and not be connected in any way to each other. What is...

My wife filed for divorce, I didn't want a divorce, I still loved her, I asked why? [ 5 Answers ]

I didn't want a divorce because I didn't want to be away from my family , and I still loved my wife, I pleaded with her to not do this and asked her why , she told me the reason was cause of " how I used to treat her " , I wasn't a saint when we first got married , but I wasn't that bad . I never...

Filing 4 divorce but reconcile then divorce @ a later time - dividing the property [ 18 Answers ]

I never heard of this before but my friend filed for divorce in 89 but reconciled a few months later. Flash forward 20 yrs & she decides to divorce him again. She went back for the kids & tried to make it work. However, when she went 4 this divorce she was told that they could divide the property...

View more questions Search