Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cdacsumit Posts: 22, Reputation: 1

Dec 31, 2008, 07:04 PM
    First time filling/ New born baby/ Indian equity loss/ Residential status
    Hi,

I (having SSN) entered US first time on H1 Visa with my non working wife (without SSN) on H4 Visa in March 2008. We also had a new born baby (having SSN), born in Aug-2008 in US. Following are my queries:

1) I want to file as Married filling jointly. Can I? What will be my residential status: resident alien or dual, as this is my first year in US?
    2) How different is filling as a dual citizen? Do I need to include my Indian income from Jan-March 2008?
    3) I also had losses in equity in India this year. Can I get show it somewhere to get benefit? And to what extent? My equity losses in India are far greater then my Indian income from Jan-March 2008.
    4) I have not filled income tax last year, as I am new in US. I am not entitled for recovery rebate credit (around $1500). Correct?
    5) With this information, can I e-file? If not, to which consultant should I go? Fees? I will also require ITIN for my wife.
    6) I am blessed with baby this year in US. Can I get any rebates for my out of pocket medical expenses (around $5k)?

Regards,
    Sumit
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 1, 2009, 08:21 AM
    Sumit:

1 & 2) File jointly with your wife. This will require you both sign a memo which states that you do this voluntarily. It will require you declare your Indian income, but that is partially offset by the Foreign Tax Credit (Form 1116), and the benefits (joint standard deduction of $10,900 and the $1,000 Child Tax credit) will outweigh any additional tax on the Indian income.

3) You can claim capital losses on your Indian stocks IF you actually sold the stocks for a loss. If the stocks just lost value, but you did not sell them, then you have not yet realized any deductible loss. This loss is capped at $3,000 per year, with greater losses carried forward to future years.

4) No, you are NOT entitled to that rebate credit, because your wife has an ITIN and because you were NOT in the U.S. in 2007.

5) No, efiling is NOT possible, because the Form W-7 (to apply for your wife's ITIN) must be submitted with the tax return, and both forms MUST be mailed. If you need professional help, I am available. Email me at [email protected].

6) Possibly. It depends on your overall income.
    cdacsumit Posts: 22, Reputation: 1

Jan 1, 2009, 05:39 PM
    Thanks Atlanta Tax Expert. Your answer is very helpful and understandsable to me.
    I am staying in Los Angeles, CA. My tax filling conditions are as:

1) This is my first time in USA. I am (have SSN) here from March-2008 on H1 with spouse (No SSN/ ITIN) on H4.
    2) Baby born in CA (have SSN), in Aug-2008 (Out of pocket expenses around $5K).
    3) Indian salary: INR 60K (Jan-08 to Feb-08). US Gross Pay: USD 52K (March-08 to Dec-08). What docs are reqd. supporting Indian income?
    4) Losses by selling equities (shares) in India: INR 300K. What docs are reqd. supporting this loss?

How can I file return with your help? What are your charges for my above conditions?
    You can also mail me at [email protected]

Regards,
    Sumit

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTaxExpert View Post
    Sumit:

1 & 2) File jointly with your wife. This will require you both sign a memo which states that you do this voluntarily. It will require you declare your Indian income, but that is partially offset by the Foreign Tax Credit (Form 1116), and the benefits (joint standard deduction of $10,900 and the $1,000 Child Tax credit) will outweigh any additional tax on the Indian income.

3) You can claim capital losses on your Indian stocks IF you actually sold the stocks for a loss. If the stocks just lost value, but you did not sell them, then you have not yet realized any deductible loss. This loss is capped at $3,000 per year, with greater losses carried forward to future years.

4) No, you are NOT entitled to that rebate credit, because your wife has an ITIN and because you were NOT in the U.S. in 2007.

5) No, efiling is NOT possible, because the Form W-7 (to apply for your wife's ITIN) must be submitted with the tax return, and both forms MUST be mailed. If you need professional help, I am available. Email me at [email protected].

6) Possibly. It depends on your overall income.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 2, 2009, 11:13 AM
    Answered via email.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Baby born before due date [ 1 Answers ]

My baby was born a month before his due date and he wasn't premature. What could have been the problem.

What is residential status and what is the tax form I should submit [ 1 Answers ]

I came to USA for the first time on Oct 14th 2006. What is my residence status for filing IRS taxes for 2006

H1B, with wife on H4 and one new born baby in US [ 3 Answers ]

I was on H1B since 2005 Oct. and got married in the same month, my wife came joining me from China in 2005 Dec and since then we haven't leave the states. My baby was born in 2006 Oct. and is almost 3 month old. Last year when I file 2005 Tax return I applied and received the Tax ID for my wife...

View more questions Search